Roland SH-101 & JC-120

Here is my latest project: the Roland SH-101 synthesizer and the JC-120 amplifier.

41 Likes

Fantastic. Inspirational. Mind boggling. Depressing (as in, I’ll never produce anything as good as this!). Just some of the adjectives that spring to mind! I’d be really proud of this. It is excellent. Well done.

2 Likes

amazing work !

1 Like

Agreed. The scuffs and smudges really sells this one. I especially like the focus changes in the animation. I really need to try that at some point, it’s such a neat thing and you’ve done it very well.

2 Likes

Beautiful, a clear labor of love. Having once had a red SH 101 for over a decade, there’s nothing uncanny here. Feels like the genuine article. My SH01a and Pro 3 does the trick now. But I’d still love to play through a JC-120 for a while.

1 Like

This looks incredible, nice work.

1 Like

Thank you for the wonderful comments! It’s really a great motivator to continue to improve.

@LazloWoodbine I appreciate it! I’ve seen your work though, and what you’re doing with the English countryside is every bit as good as this in my opinion.

@Initium_Thoth That’s great to hear! I’ve never actually seen this in real life, so I’m really happy that somebody who is very familiar with it can’t find anything obvious out of place.

2 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

2 Likes

Thank you very much!

2 Likes

you forgot “realism” tag especially for back closeup

great carpet by the way

2 Likes

That makes it even more impressive. I have some vintage Roland gear, and your texturing and modeling and shading is just really a good reproduction.

2 Likes

Thank you! The carpet was a side quest is got kind of deep into so I’m happy you like it. I’m using displacement and adaptive subdivision for the knots and some shader math to achieve the color shift based on viewpoint and nap direction.

1 Like

Thank you for saying! I just use a lot of references with different light conditions, and try tweaking the shading with different HDRIs. Typically I find that eBay listings are great, because they have natural lighting, unusual angles and real wear.

2 Likes

You’re on the featured row! :+1:

2 Likes

That’s awesome, thank you very much!

2 Likes

It’s amazing work ! I really like the attention to detail it’s almost like we can touch it just by looking at the images !
Very well done !

2 Likes

Thank you! Very happy to hear that!

2 Likes

Amazing! lighting looks incredible! did you use substance for the materials? I love the wear and scratches aswell as the leather strap. Great work!

1 Like

Thank you! No Substance Painter here, just regular Blender material nodes. I have I license but never managed to fit it into my workflow. I use a bunch of image textures for different purposes though – scratches, smudges, dust, etc. Would love to share some node trees but they would need to be cleaned up a bit to be readable first.

1 Like