Roman and Medieval European Architecture

Update of the second house.

Attachments

And finally, the first two house are done! 18ish more to go haha

Attachments

awesome !!!
all this along a dirty muddy street with light fog and haze… weeee !!! :smiley:

oh yes, haha I can’t wait!
In the demo it will also be possible to explore a few shops: here’s the workshop of John the Taylor, who wishes to move away because the butchers are settling a bit farther down the road, and the stench of rotten meat, he says, ruins his precious cloth which he buys from Flemish and Florentine merchants; however, only foreigners are fooled by his words, since his cloth, although bright, is coarse and rough, and is almost certainly produced in the near countryside. (WIP)

Attachments

The street is growing!

Attachments

wow !!! i wanna move to this street !!! :smiley:
Manorial, do you think you could reuse as much as possible the textures you created for the 2 first houses, for the future ones ?
this would be awesome and very performance oriented for realtime rendering.

Anyway, as usual, awesome work !!! congratz !

The wood texture on those beams of the second house look really great. I love it how you have always a story to tell, that goes along with the models, … a little small town gossip :slight_smile:

thanks! the explorable street project will absorb the traveller into the atmosphere of a XIV century medieval town. Here’s an update with the third building (made of three attached houses).

Attachments

So beautifull !!! I love the tailor story ! This make the place almost living :smiley:

Thanks, and yes, this is what we should do to make the exploration even more enjoyable :wink:

You are making good progress. Can you tell us a bit more about your texturing pipeline, like what textures you use as base how you apply it, do you do every texture individually or do you have a base texture collection? How about the different types of image you will then have to apply (diffuse, specular, normal, displace, ambient occlusion)?

thanks for the questions - I export the uv shape into PS and then create the texture by adding various layers (i.e. plaster, timber, dirt etc…). The same goes for everything, walls, roofs and doors. I only use diffuse maps and then apply the bump through a node in cycles…
Here’s a preview of the fourth house, a stone house with timber framed upper storey and a timber outcropping part.

Attachments

another update, new buildings on the way (the untextured ones are based on reconstructions of two houses in medieval Oxford)

Attachments

Furniture for the brewery - the walkthrough is coming up really nicely. Cant wait to post some screenshots!

Attachments

barrels are too rounded and crack too large i think!

table foot are larger at bottom is it realist cause it looks strange!

salutations

Thanks, will fix the barrels. Here’s a WIP of the town gate, still a looong way to go. Inspired by Canterbury’s Westgate

Attachments

Very nice. Those buttresses are very like the ones on our little local church. They’re meant to keep it from sinking into the marsh. And as it hasn’t sunk into the marsh yet, I suppose they work.

Nice work. I’m currently working on a house model based on the first house in the street. I will post them later in a thread. My main focus is to get a working modeling work flow (including texturing) out of it. Currently I’m still in the modeling and I’m seeing different choices that could be made. Could you post some shots of the models in edit mode to get a feeling, how detailed your low poly model is and which details can be achieved through texturing?

Your work is beautiful, above all the texturing! Compliments

thanks guys! I put a lot of effort in texturing… will post some snapshots of the first house. Here’s a progress of the gate, added holes for beams and houses to give an idea of the proportions. With the round towers at either side of the gate it will be 60 ft high.

Attachments