Roman and Medieval European Architecture

and the main body of the gate is almost done… Although Canterbury’s gate has glazed windows and loopholes for guns, I must omit those, since 1) it is unlikely that windows of a defensive structure were glazed in the early 14th century 2) Canterbury’s west gate was built in 1380, while our reconstruction would be possibly set some 70 years before. Therefore, firearms had not entered European battlefields yet, and our gate will only have holes for bows/crossbows. This said, the current view is from the indie of the city

Attachments

started working on the side facing outwards. Will texture when I’m done with the modelling. battlements need more work.

Attachments

after hours of work, the gate is ‘almost’ done. Some details are missing, plus the round towers which still need to be modelled and textured…

Attachments

Here are some buildings I am working on: the scene will take place in one of the main thoroughfares, at the edge of town, in front of the gate. This ‘high street’ was often full of inns, breweries, various shops and 2/3 storey buildings. Here’s an inn (Oak’s Inn in this case) I am creating. Read Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales and searched google for reference. The deal is simple: inns were interesting places where many people from different backgrounds gathered; there could be knights and rich merchants as well as priests and monks, though these would more likely stay at the local monastery, and even kings could stay overnight (Richard III spent his last night at the Blue Boar’s Inn). Inns were medium/big structures with a wide entrance which led to an inner court: here were the stables, a staircase which linked to the upper storey(s) and rooms, a well or a tree (in this case there will be an oak, hence the name of the inn and the hanging sign), and a main hall with a fireplace or a hearth, kitchen, and the landlord’s dwelling.
In the scene it’s possible to see a shoemaker as well, though I gave precedence to the inn first. 3000 faces in total (all the buildings together).

Attachments

the hanging sign

Attachments

Really nice work as usual. Where did you get the textures for the shingles? I notice you have also some roof tops with tiles, which look quite realistic. How did you do them? These are Cycles renders, aren’t they?

thanks. Texture found on google, just typed medieval shingles or something like that… then reworked heavily in PS. The roof top tiles were just modelled (simple double planes inclined on the sides) and then textured off the shingles texture used for the rest of the roof. Here’s an update of the inn plus the view of a room from the inside (blender won’t be used for rendering anyway, since the whole project is being carried out in Unity and thus will be a real-time thing, really stunning so far, let me tell you :D)

Attachments

Here’s a 12th century house I’m working on (will be added in the scene). Inspired by the House of the Jewish Money Lender in Lincoln.
The texturing of this house is proving out to be a nightmare, still lots to do

Attachments

awesomeness in sight :smiley:

Those houses reminds of Medievil game on PS , great job , no doubt!

P.S. medievil was a low poly game

thanks guys :slight_smile: These models are pretty low poly as well, the stone house is no more than 1500 faces

had to restart all over again, wasn’t convinced with the windows. Here’s a WIP

Attachments

enough for tonight

Attachments

this forum obviously need a ‘like’ button !

new update - with proportions. The door is rather small, like in the reference I used (Norman House in Lincoln). This house probably belonged to a Jewish money lender. His position was a precarious one, since Jews, for their wealth, were often victims of pillages and assaults. I guess the small door would be a defensive precaution.

Attachments

New door on the way. This will be one of the very few houses (or even the only one) with glazed windows present on the street. XIV century Canterbury had no more than 30 stone houses.

Attachments

New door, worked on PS

Attachments

some new doors. More to come.

Attachments

am making realistic bumps on those ones ! looks great !!!

A shoemaker: with and without textures

Attachments