Room Project

Hello form Portugal :slight_smile:

This is my first time posting on this community and I have been learning 3D in Blender for a few months now. It all started when I needed to remodel my new house and wanted to see how things could be in 3D. I built everything from scratch and ended up getting addicted and passionate about developing interiors. Now I make 3D interior projects with my girlfriend that is an amazing interior designer. It’s still a hobby but someday I want it to be my main occupation.

So the reason why I’m posting this is to get some feedback about one of my latest projects to see where I can improve and continue to get better. There is a LOT to learn about Art and I have no direct background concerning this area, so I don’t even know sometimes what should I be focused on and everything looks deceptively amazing to me :laughing:

So please, can you give me some feedback about this render?
And DON’T be nice!! I need real feedback from you artists :slight_smile:

Thank you in advance!

11 Likes

Hello there.
Very well done! Great textures on the floor and carpets.
Regarding what can be improved. From a technical point of view I would say these are the main things:

• the walls need more texture, some imperfections, I don’t mean they have to seem dirty or anything but some plaster texture I think would help.
  • the lighting, while overcasting lighting is very often used and works really well, in this case as all the walls are white having a more “dramatic” light would help selling the shot,maybe a golden hour scenario where the sun is not very strong and you can have the rays give more interesting shadows. This would also help avoiding the two almost pure white zones on the image (the windows).
  • The empty room, it’s kinda weird not seeing anything inside the room, even having a carpet on the floor could give the impression of some continuity, like it’s an actual room.
  • Composition/camera position - in archiviz this is crucial, a really well done space in 3D may not work at all when rendered because of this. It is important to have in mind what we are trying to say with the image, what should the main focus be. Right now I cannot exactly understand what I should focus on when looking at the image, cause if the point is for me to buy into the space itself, half of the living room is cut out of the image, there’s a large portion of the frame being occupied by a door that leads into an empty room.
  • This is more related to the interior design kind of thing but per example, the air conditioner brings realism into the shot, but is it aesthetically pleasing? Or does it acts more like an distraction element? If the main point is making it as realistic as possible than you could also add electrical plugs on the walls and the tv cables maybe. To give that ultimate realistic factor. But if the goals is to create the most appealing and aesthetically pleasing image possible some elements are better left off. It really comes down to thinking “what is my goal with this image”.
    This seems like a lot of critic, I’m sorry hahaha but you have the realistic aspect of it down and the technical part too! It’s just about improving on that by taking some design/storytelling decisions to the next level.
    Continue with the great work!

Hello Carlos,

Thank you very for much for your feedback :grinning: I need a lot of critic so I can improve, so it was perfect and I agree with it all. I already started the next project and all of those remarks are going to be accounted for.

We do houses and rooms remodeling and the goal is to sell the overall changes in interior design and structure. That’s the reason why the ugly air conditioner is there, cause it it’s a real room and it already exists and the client wants to keep it and we need to see how everything looks in reality. I should have done the wires and the plugs also as you said. The most part of the models are created by me from real products that we suggest to the space. So the goal is not the image itself, it’s the reality of the space.

The empty room is a kitchen and I thought I didn’t have to do anything, just kept the door open so I could have more light. But you are right, it’s distracting and have no continuity. I will have to put some counter tops or something.

The lightning is my biggest issue. In interior design the photos are better when taken during cloudy days with a lot of overcasting light. But that light doesn’t help with the whites and I’m struggling to maintain contrasts and shapes. I model a lot of Ikea white products and sometimes I can’t make them look real because they are simply to white. After rendering the images I am doing some post processing to gain more contrast but that means toning down the whites, and what I really need is more light but keep the reality!

I already finished more renders and have been granted the Basic Badge so now i can put more images in the post :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks again

1 Like

That’s really cool. I’m happy my suggestions helped. Yeah, if the goal is to have the space as close as possible to reality I would suggest really adding those little details that add the impression of it being a real house.
Lighting houses with white walls and white furniture can be a challenge. Some things that can help:

• be careful not to over expose the image, every time the image goes to pure white all the detail is lost. You can go into post and take the whites down, but if in the render the surface is 100% white any detail there is lost.
  • things are rarely “white”, when setting up the color for a white wall or desk the value should not go to 100% white. It should be like 85-90 percent white. That way when the light you have hits the surface is not going to cause everything to look too white. I don’t know if you are already doing this or if you set the materials to pure white, but this might help.

Do you use hdri or just lights outside?

You are absolutely right! I am using 100% white color in the walls and objects. So I am over exposing the image right from the start…and that doesn’t give me room to adjust anything in post without loosing all the details :frowning: It makes sense and next project I will experiment with that.

Concerning the lights, I used an HDRI with emission and a portal light in the window to redirect it. This emission has a light blue color.

On the inside I didn’t use lights in the ceiling (only for the floor and sideboard, that I used a small lamp with a yellow light), instead I made the lamp meshes with a blackbody with a 3500 temperature and emission node with 50 strength. I really don’t know if this is the right way, I’ve tried putting area lights and points lights but I didn’t like the effect.

Yeah, some of the problems with the whites might be solved just by that change in the materials. Hope it helps.
The hdri setup should be fine, just be sure to not have the emission intensity be too high. It’s much better to have an image be slightly darker and be able to adjust everything in post. (just be careful so the darks are not also 100% black, it works the same way as the whites). In the render tab - color management setup - view transform there is a setting called false color, that lets you see if your lights are too intense and creating over-exposition.

I wouldn’t say there’s a right way to light the lamps, if it is not affecting the render time that way is fine. It really depends on the effect you want from the lamp. An area light might be better in some occasions. If you feel you are not getting enough light from the hdri outside you can always try adding light on the chandeliers in the middle of the living room in this case.

Thank you for your help @Carlos16. Very appreciated :slight_smile:

I am now implementing all those feedback’s in the next project. I’ll post the final result when I’m finished.

Thanks again :muscle: