"Rose" - what should I do to make my characters look better :)

Hi, I’m still beginning my adventure with sculpting and that’s my first “not-terrible” sculpted character’s face. I know there’s still a lot to improve, so I am asking for advices, how the next steps should look like.
Here are my ideas, tell me what is most important in your opinion to make my characters better:

• better mouth sculpt - this pretty sucks;
  • better eyes shading - next time I’m going to add more depth to their look;
  • more interesting lightning and background;
  • add eyelips with eyelashes;
  • maybe better skin texturing (freckless or something) to make it look better?
  • and finally make more than just a head! I don’t know how my 8GB ram will stand it, but it’s absolutely a “must-have” :smiley:

I will be thankfull for all critiques :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,so,I’m gonna go straight into it…
I think the eyes need some work,maybe some depth like you said,and the face texture seems flat so,I think you should add an actual texture to it,and finally, I think you should add more hair to the back of the head it looks as if it’s bold,other than that ,I think it’s good for a start!

1 Like

Yep, you’re right, thank you very much for such a useful feedback!

1 Like

Everything seems so smooth, keep in mind the shape of a skull. brow ridges, cheeckbones the slight overbite of the maxilla, and a projecting chin all contribute the the facial structure.

1 Like

Yep, thank you. Probably sculpting characters without even basic knowledge about anatomy is not a good idea :smiley: It’s time for me to learn something about it.

Well, this image seems a bit over-exposed, but otherwise … “hey, it’s your character!” :+1: What do you want her to be?

Right now, I’d say "she’s a 3D cartoon." Her eyes are basically decals. Her hair is of course completely stylized. And, if that’s what you-the-artist want to do, go for it! (After all, another artist made a ton of money from a character based on a sponge, just by giving that square sponge “square pants” and naming him “Bob.”) Looking forward to the movie.

2 Likes

Thank you, it’s a pleasure to read such a motivating opinion! Of course I wanted to make her look like a 3D cartoon character, not a photorealistic one. I see that there are things to improve to make her more “eyes-friendly”. I hope my next human character will look better. Patience is a key! Another thing I need to work on is topology - this one is absolutely terrible so I dont even show you the wireframe :smiley:
Btw. I’m working on a new looped gif animation, so there will be a chance to see my “movie” this month… no matter how short it is going to be :slight_smile:

I think You should Orc, Efl, Undead and Human them.
Mines are not done yet but orc is going to have big sharp teeth sticking out from
the lower lip and maybe i should make its lips a bit smaller.

May I kindly suggest that you should not be “too hard on yourself.” As the artist, you hold all the creative cards, and your audience will very quickly accept whatever you do – as long as you are consistent in whatever you do throughout the movie (or, the image).

Disney®, for instance, “has a certain way to draw eyes.” (Never mind that anatomist tell us that “Disney eyes” are at least as large as hen’s eggs.) They succeed because they always do eyes the same way.

So, you can fiddle with “your eyes,” and “your” everything-else, any way you(!) want them to be! If people can accept and root for a cartoon character that looks like a sponge, or a character as absurdly-modeled as “Bart Simpson®,” they’re really ready to accept anything at all. It really is up to your discretion.

2 Likes

That’s not good advice, especially the last part.
Be as hard as possible on yourself (as much as you can take) and never take your audience for granted, nor assume they are stupid or have no taste (even though it may be true).
Character Design is one of the hardest artistic disciplines and the best way to get better is to constantly do it.
By that I mean do a hundred character studies. Doesn’t even have to be in 3D, if you can draw them its a good start.
Study anatomy - the classic way. Separate features, like do eyes for a week, then ears and mouth etc.
You need a ton of practice and the only way to get it is to do it.

People often assume that stylized characters are more easy than realistic ones, but that is not necessarily true. (I am talking about good characters)

Like with many things, first you have to study the laws before you should bend and break them.
Learn anatomy first, then practice until your arms/hands falls off, THEN you may look at other artists and how and what they do. But you shouldn’t copy from other artists only from reality.
If you are not working from reference, then you’re doing it wrong.
Many people just look at what the others are doing and repeating it, consequently their art looks like jank.

1 Like

You got a good plan on it. In my opinion, with a better lighting, your character will already look interesting

1 Like

@sundialsvc4 t’s a real pleasure to read comments like that during “art crisis” - I can’t do anything last time, thank you :slight_smile:
@Romanji what you are saying is also really important. I think the best way is to find the Golden mean - work hard, but not too hard, because then all my enthusiasm dies. Thank you too :smiley: