ROTAfix ver. 280.6.2

Intially inspired from this particular idea, eventually evolved with few more options and functionalities making into one of those tiny niche modeling utility tools.

Get the addon here.

Click on the above image to maximize the view

How To Use:

• You have to be in Edit Mode to invoke this add-on.
  • You can chose what Rotational Mode that need to be.
  • Select any face which you want it to be oriented from.
  • You can alter couple of default parameters according to your need.
  • Finally, click on Lets Fix! button.
17 Likes

Thanks for this, this is a great time saver from using the method in the video.

1 Like

Very good execution - already working on the first iteration and now this, thank you!!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

thanks for the addon,
can you please add an option to also keep the rotation?

thank you

Sure, why not.

Get the latest updated version here, with an option (to preserve the object’s original rotation values) that you have been looking for.

align_object_fix

However, I have kept this particular option unchecked by default.

4 Likes

Is this for 2.79 as well or just 2.8? would love one for 2.79!

I tested the new version, but still rotating the object :frowning:

Here is the one for 2.79b

@MmAaXx Can you show me a visual example what exactly you are trying to do (or wish to achieve)?

2 Likes

Hi, I actually found an addon for 2.79 that does exactly what I need.
Here is a video of how it works and the link to download the addon. :smiley:

this is would be the best, practical example: you have a prop on a character ore vehicle and you what to keep it in position but get back the orientation based on a single face.

thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/igb1zgwbpexmg1q/Ori.py?dl=0

2 Likes

Aha… I get it now!

I can add that feature within this add-on too. Would you like to have it for 2.8 (without the need to create a manual transform orientation) as well?

1 Like

@MmAaXx: Just uploaded the latest version 0.0.4 (and gave it a proper name RotaFix)

Check out the opening post for the detailed info, have it updated. Basically, you will have to chose Rotational Value mode as Retrieve for this particular scenario.

You don’t have to chose any Transform Orientations or add a manual one to perform this task. This process might also reduce one extra click.

4 Likes

Hey Arindam

Thanks again, unfortunately the addon is already broken with the latest build :frowning:

Can you show me the console error?

sure

Modules Installed (align_object_fix0,0,4) from ‘D:\***\utility\2.8addons\align_object_fix0,0,4.py’ into ‘C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons’
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\Desktop\blender-2.80.0-git.cad1016c20b5-windows64\2.80\scripts\modules\addon_utils.py”, line 393, in enable
mod.register()
File “C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\align_object_fix0,0,4.py”, line 336, in register
register_class(cls)
RuntimeError: Error: Registering panel class: parent ‘OBJECT_PT_align_object_fix’ for ‘OBJECT_PT_align_object_fix_subpanel’ not found

Looking at the error message it looks like, it’s having an issue with registering the main panel class during installation/enabling the add-on.

Have you tried to make a clean install of the latest version of the add-on?

If not, make sure you do remove all the previous versions before enabling the lastest one. It will unregister all the classes from the previous version, which have the same class name and hence there will be no more conflicts.

Another thing that I notice is that you rename the script file at the end by its version number. It’s not the issue on this particular case here, however at times it could be problematic with the “init” method inside the script.

2 Likes

it worked fine! thanks :slight_smile:

Works like a charm! Well made!
Much needed addition to 2.80 workflow.

Thanks!
This should definitely go into Master!

3 Likes

haha… That would be quite an honor, thank you @OrAngE!
I am a fan of your artworks (specially, the ones from your early Caricature Sculpt Jam days)

And oh, if you have really liked this RotaFix… please do check out my RADarr as well. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks on the kind words! As you could have imagined, I get a kick out of caricatures. Cool to hear some of those sculpt jams had an appeal to them.

I had seen RADarr, and it’s on my list of things to get and try. Looked pretty impressive!
There’s a couple of addons I set my eye on buying. Need to get some time and go through the list.

Thanks on making blender better for us :smile:

1 Like