Rotate armature without destroying my animations?

Hello,

I have made an armature and a mesh attached to it facing the wrong direction.{-Y axis}
I already have a walk cycle and a few other animations made.
When I try to rotate the armature to face the +Y axis and press control A, it will only rotate the object, all of the bones are still facing the -Y axis, and the animations are all broken.

My question is, How can I rotate the armature without destroying my animations?:confused:

Thank you in advanced for any help.

1. Why use Ctrl-A? Does having the Armature @ RotZ = 180 create problems elsewhere?

2. You can make the Armature and any external rig controllers children of a “master” controller (could use an Empty) that is then translated/rotated/scaled to affect the entire rig at once (does not affect Rotation property of the Armature, btw)

Wild guess: you were rotating the mesh object, not the armature object.
Make sure you are in object mode.
Make sure you are rotating the armature object. No need to apply the modifier, the animation will be rotated with the armarure.
The ‘outliner’ is your friend when it comes to selecting ambiguous objects.
BM

1. Why use Ctrl-A? Does having the Armature @ RotZ = 180 create problems elsewhere?

Yes, it must face the +Y for it to work properly with Boids, and the game engine.

Wild guess: you were rotating the mesh object, not the armature object.
Make sure you are in object mode.
Make sure you are rotating the armature object.
The ‘outliner’ is your friend when it comes to selecting ambiguous objects.
BM

No, I am quite sure I selected the armature. I have tried unparenting the mesh and turning him around, then re-parenting, but that still does not work. The animation still gets inverted.

I guess this will just have to go on my “Things that will screw you out of hours of work list”.

I wonder why blender is made like this? I cannot think of any time I would want my bones to get screwed up like this.This is just poor design I am afraid.

I will just have to start over I am afraid :(. How depressing.

Sounds like poor planning also. If you needed the model to face Y+, why not start that way?

I didn’t know this was for the GE (wasn’t mentioned), so that does complicate the problem. Give me a moment to try some things and I’ll get back with you.

OK, try this. Select your armature.

1. Object>Mirror>Y Local (Ctrl+M, 2)

2)Object>Mirror>X Local (Ctrl+M, 1)

Done.

What this does is “pseudo-rotate” the armature by mirroring through 2 axes. This also mirrored all the rotation values applied to the bones (+ became -), which is what is needed to “reverse” your animation for the flipped orientation.

I just did this with a very complex model & rig, seems to work fine.

Sounds like poor planning also. If you needed the model to face Y+, why not start that way?

I assumed I could rotate it later. The way blender is set up, I have to hold control and hit page down to see the front if it is facing +Y.

Now I know that rotating an armature with animations intact, is beyond the ability’s of Blender. In the future I will just make them face +Y to begin with.

OK, try this. Select your armature.

1. Object>Mirror>Y Local (Ctrl+M, 2)

2)Object>Mirror>X Local (Ctrl+M, 1)

Done.

Hey cool trick :). unfortunately it did not work, after I hit control-A the animation is still inverted.

Sometimes we have to get burned to learn. I will never forget to make them face +Y in the first place.

Thanks for your time and help everyone , I am just going to write this project off as “failed”, and start over.

Did I say to do this to a rotated armature? No. Where in the steps did I state to hit “Ctrl A” ?

Fail if you wish, it’s your choice. Or maybe try again.

***deleted post ***

I dunno, guess I’m reflecting some of Angela’s fatalistic attitude. Her willingness to lay blame on the software design is also a bit irritating, particularly since it’s unwarranted.

Sorry if I came off rude, Ms. Smith.

***deleted Post **

From personal experience, this is a major problem for me with blender, there are legitimate situations where you would want to move an animation to a different armature or change an armature in place. But you can’t really because the animations will not work with it etc. One common one is for example you have an animation where the arms are down in rest position and you need them to be out. As for solutions, python can usually handle these kinds of things, I’ve done siomilar things before but don’t know if this one is viable.

afaik this can be fairly easily accomplished with the Actions Editor, as long as the armatures are compatible in terms of bone names and general structure.

depends on the nature of the changes. I’ve been editing, adding and removing bones, changing topology, and generally revising the hell out my current rig and mesh, and haven’t lost an animation yet. Granted, vert weights will need adjustment, maybe some bones repositioned, but that’s to be expected.

Angela, you might want to post a link to the actual .blend file, it will do away with a lot of guesswork. And trust me, you can get out of bad planning. I should know. I’m not the best planner cough :slight_smile: