Rotate Texture

I had a quick search through BA, but have yet not found the answer.

Using Blender Renderer, how do i rotate a texture. I have read about creating an empty and linking it to ‘object’ mapping, but that sounds painfully long.

Is there a quick and easy way of doing it, please say yes.:slight_smile:

creating an empty and linking to object mapping is not painfully long. It is just that. Shift+A, then “object” mapping coordinates, then link the empty. Really simple. Don’t know if there’s a simpler way. I’ve heard something about animate UVs too.

If you are using UVs to map the texture, you could rotate the UVs

Thnaks for the reply, but I have a bump map, and a diffuse tex on a separate tex layer. If I rotate the UV’s then it affects the bump map. So unfortunately that’s not a viable option.:frowning:

What if I have multiple objects, do I need to to have an empty for each object that I wish to rotate the texture for. That could get quit cumbersome.

Why is there not just an option to rotate tex along with scale and offset?

It is if you use two UV maps. One for bump and one for diffuse.
UV maps are listed in object data properties. If you press the + sign next to the UV map list, it duplicates the selected map. You could then rotate that and assign diffuse texture to use it.

Edit: 1000 posts in BA, hmm

@OP: Are you also not wanting to use nodes? Because that would be really easy and no empty required if that’s a problem.

Offtopic @JA12:

Edit: 1000 posts in BA, hmm

1000 really good informative posts, though.

Do Cycle Materials work with the game engine?

Congrats on the 1000 posts JA12

What if I have multiple objects, do I need to to have an empty for each object that I wish to rotate the texture for. That could get quit cumbersome.

You could use the same empty to move all textures you want. Just link to object mapping the same empty.

Why is there not just an option to rotate tex along with scale and offset?

I’m no developer, so… sorry but i can’t answer that :frowning:

No. Game engine has its own material system.

How would I rotate the UVs? I have a model who’s dress is on sideways. I just want to straighten it out.:slight_smile: Thanks in advance.

Switch one of the editors to UV/Image editor or use the UV editing layout from the top header (default layout is called ‘Default’).
In edit mode, select everything (A) and you should be able to see your UV map in the UV/Image editor. In there you can select/move/rotate/scale UVs the same way you do those things in the 3D view. Select, R to rotate.

DruBan, Ohjin: Thank you.

Did all that, nothing happened. I can load up the textures in the UV window, and I can see the rotate commands. But when I try to rotate, nothing happens. Anyway, I’ll add it to the list…

Just click the rotate texture check box. that will rotate it 45 degrees. All the options you’re asking about are in the texture panel.

Oh I’m sorry. You are using a generated texture right? Then some of those options are missing. This is very easy. Just load whatever you want as your texture then where it says generated select object instead and choose an empty. Not sure how this might work on more complex meshes though. I only tested it on a plane. Might have to use the nodes to do what ur suggesting. Not difficult though. Google “Rotating generated textures Blender”.

Following your instructions about switching from generated produced a different results, but not the 90 degree rotating of the texture I was hoping for. And I googled that info but nothing jumped out as eminently helpful.

The wierd thing is, I imported a perfectly textured model to mixamo and when I sent it back to Blender and tried to re-apply the textures, i got them all sideways.

This has happened to me before when I import obj files. All the textures have to be rotated, but I’ve always had a uv texture to work with. Its easy with uv textures. You select the flip x or y check box and bamm fixed. Did you rotate the empty 90 degrees on z after you switched the texture coordinates from generated to object? That should have done the job.

Honestly, none of this is coming across as particularly “easy”. Right now, I can’t it to rotate at all. Changing to the empty does make it different, only worse. And I see anywhere to rotate it 90 degrees. Stuff with textures and modeling isn’t really my forte, hence why I’m struggling.

If you can you should upload the file it’s easier to help you and much faster for all.

@OP

Do Cycle Materials work with the game engine?

Sorry about that. Your first post says

Using Blender Renderer, how do i rotate a texture.
Game engine is a foreign area to me. YOu can do it in BR but I think Game engine is more like viewport texturing … or something…

@DruBan: It’s telling me the file upload failed. It’s 5MBs, is it possible it’s just too large?