rotating around the Z-axis

I’m a noob to Blender. I’m very much willing to experiment with it and try to produce something I can put into my portfolio.

I’ve used other 3D programs before, and so far, I’ve only run into this issue with Blender.

When using the middle mouse button to rotate the scene, it often rotates around the Z-axis as well. I must admit that I am not at all happy about that. I really only want it to rotate around the X-axis and Y-axis when modeling.

Is there anyway to configure the settings so that it doesn’t rotate around the Z-axis?

I don’t know if there is a way to do it with the mouse, but you can use the 4 and 6 keys on your number pad. 6 clicks on either is a quarter rotation.

its all a matter of orientation to the object.

numpad 7- top view
numpad 3- side view
numpad 1- front view
any of these + ctrl= the opposite view.
7+ctrl=bottom view.etc

in those view look in the bottom right corner of the 3d view and u’ll see a axis symbol

hope it helps

HC

You can change the manner in which the view is rotated via options in the Information Window.

Move your cursor just above the 3DWindow until it touches the border and drag down the border to reveal the Information Window.
Select the ‘View and Controls’ button, and under ‘View rotation’ you have the option to switch from ‘Trackball’ to ‘Turntable’.