Rotating Spotlight

Hi I’m new here, sorry if this is in the wrong forum…I also tried a searching and didn’t find any similar posts…

MY QUESTION: is there a way to aim a spotlight? I find that it’s hard to quickly control a spotlight by rotating it. I would rather control the rotation by translating an Aim. Sorry if this is too basic for this forum!

Option 1
Add an Empty if you don’t want the lamp to point at a specific object. Select the lamp and shift select the empty/object you want the spot light to point at, then Ctrl+T / Track to Constraint. The lamp will keep pointing at the object/empty. If you used an empty you can move the empty to control where the lamp points

Option 2
Select the lamp, Ctrl+Numpad 0 to make the lamp the active camera. You will now be looking through the lamp, position it as you require. Go out of camera view Numpad 0, select the camera object and reset it to be the active camera (Ctrl+Numpad 0)

EDIT: Moved thread from Discussion to Support / Lighting & Rendering

Thanks Richard! I also just noticed all the other sub-forums! I like the Empty method, much appreciated.

I realized that I could not move the origin of an Empty object…am I right? I was trying to snap an empty to the 3D cursor but couldn’t use CTRL SHIFT ALT C (which is how I do it for other things)

I realized that I could not move the origin of an Empty object…am I right? I was trying to snap an empty to the 3D cursor but couldn’t use CTRL SHIFT ALT C (which is how I do it for other things)
Select the empty and Shift+S / Selected to Curser