Rotation Help

I know this is probably a nub question but, Its also nice to interact with other artist from time to time rather than doing it all myself and not learning the in and outs or the best way of doing things.

Alright I’m having a bit of problem with animation. I just started the 2010 Blender Training series and trying to react bit by bit as I go along so I can understand better. My problem is I’m trying to use the animation function to render a item to continuously rotate on a specific axis, like a sword spinning around on the y axis.

I can get the item to rotate no problem, however there is always a pause at the end of the timeline before starting over on the rotation.
So far I’ve added the rotation at the beginning then went down in my time line, rotated the item and added the rotation to the time line. I’ve done this enough times to get a full clean rotation but every time I gets to the end frame the item slows down… stops then repeats the rotation. I’d also like to be able to save this animation and post it, advice on this would be helpful.

Any tutorials which are specifically for this topic would be nice as well.

Also is their a better way of doing this?

Thanks for the help.

Nvm, I used the graph editor to fix the problem, just need to make it linear so I get a clean rotation.

Still could use some advice on saving, Also is it good to have blender render or should I use another program to handle the renders?

By default, all curves are bezier curves, setting to linear extrapolation fixes the problem, but also switching to linear interpolation with constant extrapolation should produce the same results. Bezier curves ease into the next key frame gently, where as linear curves are more abrupt. Think of it this way, if you had a curve that started at the top at frame 1, goes down by frame 10 and goes back to the top at frame 20, a constant curve type would be a ‘V’ shape, where as a bezier curve would be more of a ‘U’ shape.

As to rendering, that is all up to you. Blender’s renderer does a good job and is pretty quick for the results it produces. If you can live with the results it produces, then stick with it. If you are unhappy with the results, then look for another renderer. Since you are talking animation, you’ll want to stay away from un-biased renderers, I just left an un-biased renderer run for 10 hours to produce a good result, doing that for each frame would take months to produce a few seconds of animation. Biased renderers, like 3delight, have a bit of a learning curve to them, I’m thinking, but I’ve never used one.

When it comes to renderering, render out each frame as a single image and then combine all the images into a movie using blender’s video sequence editor. I once rendered a scene for 8 hours to a video, discovered a flaw, fixed it (or so I thought), and rendered for another 8 hours, only to find the flaw was still there. So third time, I rendered to images, found the flaw, and corrected that single image then combined all the images into a video. I wasted a lot of time, 16 hours, because I didn’t render to images. This also safe gaurds you against power outages and computer crashes and other problems, like someone shutting off the computer, because when rendering to images, you can start at the last image rendered, instead of the beginning.

Hope this helps,
Randy

Yes, thanks. Even if I’m not able to comprehend some of what you said I did get the gist of what your talking about. I think the blender render-er is good I was just curious to know if anyone was using a better suited one or what not. My main goal for using blender currently is to build a game with the similar graphics to that of Zelda OOT and TP, Also I’m starting with the graphics fist so when I go to write the python code everything will be there or I can easily add more. I’ve only been using blender for a full week now starting Monday and I used blender 2.3 back in the day for a few weeks so I’m not too experienced.

Any Advice anyone can give to help me along my way is also greatly appreciated. I’m currently watching the 2010 training session for blender which has helped quite a bit.

By the way my deviant Art account is: http://aivenn6.deviantart.com/ if anyone would like to take a look at my gallery and leave comments to help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Also I forgot to ask, what would be the best way to get a constant rotation instead of a timeline rotation which is limited by the frames.