Rotation limits on objects via Python

Hi all

Like the title suggests, how (Python wise) do you impose limits on an object rotating? I have several areas within my game that would benefit from this but I have no clue as to how to do it.

I have played with the logic constraints, but they seem to be global in scope which is a problem for me (unless I missed a setting somewhere)- I need the limits to affect the object on a local axis.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Cheers

Paul

I have a way you can do it.

create some float properties and call them rotx, roty, and rotz. these are for rotating the different axis.
then set up the controllers to use a script and use this code

import GameLogic as g
cont = g.getCurrentController()

cont.owner.orientation = [cont.owner["rotx"],cont.owner["rotxy"],cont.owner["rotxz"]]

if you don’t want to rotate some of the axis you can use 0 instead.

Tell me if you need more help

Nice! Thanks for that retro world.

How would you stop an object rotating past a certain point though? For example, I want an object to bank left and right, but the banking should stop before the object rolls completely over.

use an if statements.

for example “if the rotation value is past a certain point, then don’t change the rotation, else if it isn’t past that limit update the rotation.”

do you know how to use if statements?

Here is an example blend of me playing around. It has two objects- a cube that saves its orientation to a Dict, and a slave object that uses this Dict value to govern how far it banks into a corner.

I suppose what I am struggling to get my head around is what exactly influences what- in the example I would like the banking to stop before it flips over (SPACE goes forward, L/R cursor steers / banks).

Cheers for the input so far too!

Attachments

Example.blend (335 KB)

Almost got this working!

My final question is why when the box reaches its maximum turn value (either -2 or 2) the block gets stuck and no longer rotates?

Cheers for your time

Paul

Attachments

Test.blend (319 KB)

import bge

def rot(cont):

sensor = cont.sensors["Keyboard"]
    sensor = cont.sensors["Keyboard1"]

obj = cont.owner

curRot = obj.localOrientation.to_euler()[2]

print(curRot)

for key,status in sensor.events:

if key == bge.events.LEFTARROWKEY and curRot < 2:

rotation = [ 0.0, 0.0, 0.1]

obj.applyRotation(rotation, True)           

if key == bge.events.RIGHTARROWKEY and curRot > -2 :

rotation = [ 0.0, 0.0, -0.1]

obj.applyRotation(rotation, True)

Duh! I’m being a bit of a divvy lately- I think fatherhood is taking its toll. Thanks agoose!

Out of interest, I changed applyRotation to angular velocity and the constraints no longer worked- is something else required for this?

erase this(psi = psi * 57.2957795) maybe this solve your problem

(text2.py)

7 years later… :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s the best part about this place! xD