Rotation Revisited

Hello. I am sorry to ask a question that might have been asked before, but there is such a vast amount of info on this site that I couldn’t find exactly what I was looking for. It is rather hard for me to explain this, so I will try my best. Say that I have a cylinder or a tube, that has not been subdivided for simplification purposes. Is it possible to select one latitudinal (or longitudinal) line and rotate it around the object’s surface, so that the width of the cylinder faces do not have to be the same? I guess it would be more or less a combination of grab and rotation. My problem is that I can grab the line and move it, but it is difficult to set it to where the overall shape of the object isn’t changed. The same goes for rotating the line after it is finally placed. Which in turn makes it difficult for me to get the spacing consistant all the way around the object. For example if I wanted a broad face with small faces, the same size, on each side of it. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to add that I am totally new to this program. I seem very slow to get anything done, but I do enjoy it a great deal, even as someone who is artistically challenged. Thanks

Ive read through your problem a few times and dont totally follow what your after but i get the feeling ‘face loop splitting’ on this web page http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/PartII/Edge_and_Face_Tools could be what your after.

My understanding of your problem is that you want to rotate vertices about the axis of the tube/cylinder.

1. Change view so you are looking at the end faces of the cylinder.
  2. Use Shift-S to move the 3D cursor to the center of the cylinder (if the object center is not along the axis, in object mode do F9->Centre New).
  3. Press period-key (.) to make rotations pivot about the 3-D cursor.
  4. In Edit mode, select the vertices you want to rotate, use RKEY to rotate them about the cursor.

Thanks for the replies. I did find what I was needing. I was wanting the “edge slide” function. I knew there was a way to do it. Thanks again!