Rounding Corners and Difference

Subsurficing is too dramatic. Is there a way to round the corners of a cube (i.e. to a certain radius), similar to a bevel?

Also, the difference modifier doesn’t seem to be working. I’ve got two cubes.

Cube 1:

Loc X 0
Loc Y 0
Loc Z 1

Siz X 1
Siz Y 1
Siz Z 1

Cube 2:

Loc X 0.5
Loc Y 0
Loc Z 1.5

Siz X 0.5
Siz Y 1
Siz Z 0.5

When I select either cube first, and the other one second, and I choose the boolean difference modifier, and click apply, I get the error:

Modifier is disabled or returned error, skipping apply.

Why? I’m trying to cut steps out of a cube (example simplified).

About the subsurf question:

If you turn subsurf on your cube and then make a loop cut (Ctrl+R) on it, that sharpes the edges. The closer to the edge you make the cut, the sharper the corner.

Sorry, I’m not sure about the boolean question.

-Laurifer

Select the edges after subsurfing and crease it. No need for loopcuts, and this will have less starting geometry.

When I select either cube first, and the other one second, and I choose the boolean difference modifier, and click apply, I get the error:

Select the large cube and add the difference modifier. Under OB: in the modifier panel put the smaller cubes name. Click apply and move the smaller cube out of the way. A little different than the old method.

GreyBeard

The problem is, crease makes the model blocky. It also gives you far less control, in my mind.

-Laurifer

Thanks, that’s exactly what I was looking for.

As for cutting stairs, loopcuts and extending them off of a base cube seemed to work better for me (than booleans). The booleans created some really odd (and ugly looking) vertices and edges, even if they weren’t visible in the render - this made it more difficult to see what I was modeling.