War For Orion is a Science Fiction Space Action / 3rd Person Shooter game set in the year 3500AD. The gameplay revolves around an interstellar war between two human factions, the Alliance and the Apostasy. In actual gameplay terms this translates into a map based online Player vs Player (PvP) multiplayer action game where players can fight as either Alliance or Apostasy space soldiers. The battle takes place from a 3rd person perspective as a space soldier, or piloting high performance fighter spaceships and other exciting vehicles. The aim of the game is to defeat the opposing faction in various game modes, deathmatch, domination, etc, using tactical team based play.
Russell Morahan (Thats me, DyotoOrion on these forums.) - Project Leader / Lead 3D Artist.
Aivis Ozols - 3D Artist.
Philip MCloskey - 3D Artist.
Rafael Moreira - 3D Artist
Taylor Brandenburger - 3D Artist.
Othman Sahbi - 3D Artist.
Tony Winslade - Gameplay Programmer.
Julius Lange - Network Programmer.
Alex Kalavitis - Gameplay Programmer.
Ahmad Fauzan - UI Programmer.
Anthony Avi Sevastien - 2D Concept Artist
Yong Suk Choi - 2D Concept Artist.
Ariel Carpenter - 2D Concept Artist.
Niko Bergles - UI Artist.
Fletcher Williams - Original Soundtrack
Anthony Davis - Web Developer.
We are a friendly Indie team working passionately towards our goal of an awesome space action game. I have been working full time as a freelance 3D artist for 3 years now, and our other team members all have experience working in other Indie game projects. We are a semi-professional team with big goals and big ambition to make an explosive impact on the Sci-Fi games genre. We are aiming to release War For Orion on Steam in Q4 2016, at which time we will be able to pay all our team members generously for their work. This is a Royalty based project.
The War For Orion development team is currently seeking a Level Designer to assist us in the creation of Science Fiction / Space Game Levels and Environments.
The Level Designer will be responsible for creating 3D or 2D visualisations of game level layouts as 3D blockouts or as floorplans / diagrams in 2D. The Level Designer will be required to work closely with the teams 3D artists and also concept artists to collaborate in the creation of fun and awe inspiring Sci-Fi environments. Understanding and experience of First Person Shooter / Third Person Shooter Gameplay will be essential in designing exciting 3D environments for the players to engage in multiplayer action and adventure.
This role would ideally suit a Level Designer OR 3D artist with a strong understanding of architecture and 3D environment creation. Also as Level Designer on a Sci Fi game an understanding of and passion for futuristic environments such as space stations and industrial installations would be highly useful. A working knowledge of Metric scale and measurement and the ability to create metrically accurate 2D or 3D visualisations is essential.
The following skills are essential for this position:
- A working knowledge of Unreal Engine 4 and the ability to use Unreal Engines BSP Geometry Brushes to create level blockouts and designs AND / OR A working knowledge of a 3D modelling program such as Blender 3D, Maya, 3DSMax or Modo. Or a working knowledge of other 3D modeling / design programs, for example Sketchup or AutoCad or any of the other high quality architectural or industrial design softwares.
NOTE: It is not essential for the Level Designer to have both UE4 BSP and 3D modelling software proficiency - either one will do - but both would be great!
- The ability to export 3D models / designs as .OBJ. or .FBX format.
- Be creative and imaginative in designing Science Fiction environments for a multiplayer shooter game.
The following skills would be highly useful for this position:
- A working knowledge of Unreal Engine 4’s Landscape Creation toolset.
- General 3D Environment Artist Skill set.
- 2D design and visualisation skills - such as the ability to create floor plans or top down level schematics.
- 2D concept art skills - the ability to draw environment art concepts or designs.
- An understanding of and interest in industrial design and industrial architecture - for example Nuclear Power Plants, Oil Rigs, Military Bases etc.
All applicants should possess the following:
- A love of science fiction and space adventure in computer games, and in related media, films, TV and literature.
- Be excited and really passionate about making fantastic and fun games!
- Be a good team player, able to work cooperatively with others in a balanced and mature way. Be able to communicate ideas clearly and also listen to others.
- Be able to speak English and be able to join us on Skype for our weekly game development meetings. A Microphone is absolutely essential for most positions.
- Be able to contribute between 10-16 hours per week to the project.
I welcome applications from aspiring Level Designers / 3D artists / Game Developers of all levels of experience who are willing to learn new skills and feel they have the potential to fulfill this role.
If you are interested in joining our team to work with us on War For Orion and have the skills and talent to take on the role of Level Designer then please contact me by email or Skype to arrange an interview, or feel free to respond to this forum thread with any questions or comments. Even if this position has been filled, we are always looking to hear from talented game devs interested in working with us.
Email me at: [email protected]
Our Games Website can be found here: www.warfororion.net
And on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/warfororion
I look forward to hearing from you!
Here is some media from the early development of War For Orion (we have much more going on behind the scenes):