Rules for NSFW tagging (and debate?)

Please explain what you mean by hypocrisy in regards to what I wrote. If you mean Google is being hypocritical, then I understand what you mean to a point.
Ultimately, it’s the parent’s responsibility to protect their kids from inappropriate content, but the internet is like the movie theater – kids are going to sneak in and see whatever movie they want. I know parents who give their 10-year-old an iPhone without any parental controls, so that’s not Google’s fault.

1 Like

Yeah, I was talking about Google.
But In general I am not trusting big companies/institutions/governments to protect anything but their own interests.

2 Likes

What parents can do however is discipline their kid if he or she happens to willingly look at such content online (that is assuming the filter was worked around which I would argue is mandatory for a healthy household).

What I mean by bringing discipline is the real stuff and not the toothless and ineffective methods promoted today in pediatric circles. Then there’s stricter parenting in general, for instance I and my siblings (at least in the preteen years) were not able to go much beyond the property line or buy anything without permission (so this eliminated the idea of walking to the movie theater or purchasing something from one of the new E-stores).

This is veering a bit off-topic, please keep the discussion focused around this site specifically, thanks!

What point of this discussion? It’s obvious for anyone that all these NSFW tags, blurring effects, google “safe” search etc. won’t stop any kid from viewing any content they want. Parents can do not much, to prevent kids from such content, even if they restrict internet and won’t give their kid phone, he\she will see it all at their friends outside home. I am afraid no one able to stop this situation so what point to discuss some restrictions on forum? It doesn’t matter if such restriction exists or not anyone including kids can view this. And why bother if your work fell into this NSFW tag? Who cares?

I hear this type of argument a lot… these measures don’t work so just do nothing. Not singling you out, but if you apply this type of argument to, say, traffic lights (traffic lights won’t stop some people from running a red so why have them?), you can see my point. Just because it’s impossible to keep kids shielded from certain things doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try.

This site and many others have measures in place to 1) keep NSFW content from bleeding into public view, where not everyone is ok with viewing such material; 2) to warn folks about content that they may not be inclined to want to view, and 3) to avoid legal problems.

I hope I didn’t veer too much off topic.

4 Likes

This is a perfect summary, just add “4) to keep the site visible on search engines” and you have the entire NSFW policy for this site in a nutshell :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Great discussion here.
Just for my peace of mind: I did not start this topic challenging the concept of NSFW or its use, but to understand the scope of the term and why it was enforced this way on Blender Artists.
I’m very satisfied with the answers, I learned a lot, thanks to all!

Last comment: it seems obvious to you all that NSFW primarily encompasses nudity. It was not clear to me. As wikipedia says, it is an internet slang and not an official word with a clear definition.
I therefore encourage the site crew to at least mention that “typically, nudity is considered NSFW”, for the noobs like me who find it confusing to apply a tag without knowing what it means.
As an example, I could very easily find raw guidelines on sketchfab, and that helped.

2 Likes

Yes to your nudity observation, but it’s not quite that simple. Nudity, gore, extreme violence, overly suggestive/sexual material, etc, can all be considered NSFW and are on this site. You can find examples of NSFW works tagged for gore and violence easily, as well as non-nude suggestive images, for example:

3 Likes

I’ve seen artwork that contains gore but no nudity marked as nsfw by moderators and TL3s, but then again, there’s a lot of horror artwork that that goes by just fine, and even gets featured.

What exactly qualifies? Is it based on shock value, dark themes, or overall gore? At what point does it become an issue?

Same as last discussion- no specific guidelines, it’s case by case :slight_smile:

1 Like

So if something personally shocks me, I should tag it? Or should regulars not be using this tag at all — flagging such posts and leaving them to @bartv and the moderators instead?

Also, doing it case by case presents a few additional issues. What if one gory work gets on the row, but another with a similar level of horror is tagged, thus preventing it from being featured? Since shock levels are a personal opinion, I’m starting to wonder if such judgment should be left to Bart alone.

It’s probably not as much of a problem as I think, but I’d be interested to hear your thoughts.

Also, can you point me to said previous discussion? It probably answers a lot of my questions, and I forgot to ask about it.

I think you can safely say that gore is pretty much a given NSFW. I’m not aware of cases where “shocking “ work was tagged, but they might exist. If someone’s heavily bleeding or wounded, or if they’re being actively hurt such as being stabbed, all of those I’ve personally seen have been tagged.

I don’t think any work with visible gore has been featured, I could be wrong but I don’t think so.

I think you’re looking at this in terms of “shock”, but gore is about violence and bodily harm. Plenty of horror work gets featured- see anything by Harti- but it’s not showing someone being injured, or any gore. There’s nothing wrong with horror, but gore is tagged, AFAIK

The thread I’m referring to is this:

I recognize how frustrating the case by case answer is, but there’s just not a set of strict “this is ok and this isn’t” guidelines anywhere on the site. These are great questions to bring up, and I appreciate your perspective for sure, though :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you’re referring to the thread I marked, Zorro_Weaver, I marked it as nsfw because of the gore. I’d like to say for the record that I’m a huge fan of post-apocalyptic monsters; like zombies/monsters, and I’m not shy of the sight of intense violence, blood or otherwise crinch content. However, I understand; and have been told by friends, that not everyone shares my personal tastes and I do respect their wishes. To put it into summary, I try to not share anything I wouldn’t be comfortable sharing with younger aged people; like kids. I also try to mark threads that I believe to be nsfw if they aren’t already because: I personally don’t believe people would show that content to their kids or other people’s kids (or suffer their their parents’ raths, haha). I too wish their was an open rule book about what is “okay” and what is “not okay” on this forum, for example with this.

2 Likes

If you mean this thread- 'Pain Body'
That was a good call, and a great example of my earlier point- this isn’t a shock thing, it’s an actively bleeding/impaled human suffering with visible gore

3 Likes

@joseph and @RPaladin:

Thanks for giving me more insight into the situation. I now understand what sets gore apart from horror themes, and will know what types of things to look out for in the future.

2 Likes

It seams to be that:
Normal user flag-tags aren’t unnoticed by the admin but are judeged by them… and according to:

for regulars:

• TL3 spam flags cast on TL0 user posts immediately hide the post
  • TL3 flags cast on TL0 user posts in sufficient diversity will auto-silence the user and hide all their posts

(Even if i might not understand the last one complety…)

So you might think twice before flag/tagging something… like with great power comes great responsibility… and yes there are artworks which are …disturbing… disgusting…

(i always don’t understand shocking in this context… once there were shown the sudden fall over of a soccer player standing on the field in TV… it was his sudden death moment… THAT was shocking for me (not the death itself… more that this was shown in the news !?! ) )

But nevertheless… there are kids around here (looking at some post of… but that’s anonther story :wink:)

(And according to the Pain Body… there is also a big nailed one hanging down from the celling in most churches… but again… this a whole different story…)

As many other things in life: what exactly is beautyfull ?

(Eagles, wolves, butterflies,are ? Vultures, jackals, meat flies not?)

I think it is interesting that there is this saying “where to mark the (border) line”… funny thing is border is a human made up concept and yet we ask all the time: where it is

And i have to stop posting so much divagating text… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

If I understand it correctly, it means that if multiple separate regulars cast Spam flags on a TL0 user, that user will be prevented from posting. As you say,

Of course if something is actually spam, flag it, but I see flags in the queue sometimes that are definitely unwarranted. Generally speaking to the forum at large, just because someone doesn’t agree with your opinion, isn’t a reason to flag their post :wink:

No- the NSFW tag should be entirely separate of any personal considerations. I’m not talking to you specifically @Charles_Weaver , here, since you understand now that’s it’s more about “gore” than “shock” :slight_smile: Just putting that out there for the forum at large. If something personally offends you, but you’re not sure if it’s actually NSFW, don’t tag it. Someone else will come along and make a more impartial decision

2 Likes

A little cheek-in-tongue post here, not relaunching the debate, but look at the advertisement Google selects while enforcing NFSW though its algorithms

google ads are specifically targeted to you, your advertising ID, and your cross-device browsing history :wink:

1 Like