Running 2.80 Beta on Mac, odd result, I need an opinion, please

Normally a user of 2.79b I’m able to run 2.80 on my mac also, but with no rendering, producing just black objects. Also using edit mode is useless with strange streaky artefacts (see image).

Is this a result of running a dated Mac, aged OpenGL-driver (appearently no update available) and no CUDU?

Kind regards
Mikael

Which model mac is it? Its likely an intel onboard video rather then a real card supporting Cuda. If thats the case, then the only thing you can do is get a better laptop, or possibly, depending on the connections the mac has, you could get an eGPU to plug into it.

The mac is a

• 2,7 GHz Intel Core i7 from 2011 with
  • Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB,

so you’re assumptions are correct. And that confirms the cause of odd performance when running 2.80, right?

I hoped to utilize 2.80 on my actual system until I had made up my mind: buying a new (used) Mac or jump to a PC. I would prefer Mac since I have a lot of applications I would have to leave out migrating to Win or Linux.

I’ve heard about external GPUs yet unsure if its a path to follow.

The question is wether the price bracket (300$-900$) and performance is worth it – considering the base system.

Thanks for your input :slight_smile:

Kind regards
Mikael

Well the CPU is good enough I would say, but the GPU falls woefully short. You might be better off putting the money down on a new macbook, but given that they favour battery life over power, i still think you will end up with a sub-par graphics, certainly for 3d work.

I assume your operating system and everything is as up to date as it can be?

Maybe there is something on this list that can suit your budget in the second hand market:

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your info :slight_smile:

Concerning your assumption about latest updated version I must confess that I am stuck by – erm – lets call it: “focused professional lazyness”: I still run OSX 10.4 since I hate the hazzle thrashing/updating programmes/tools/addons that works fine in my daily work. I know I push the troubles ahead of me eventually hitting the fan, but time has come …

As said before your comments are highly appreciated. From your list I read that getting a refurbed Mac-book for a reasonable price I may go for:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013) NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, OpenGL 4.1

• or -

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2012) NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, OpenGL 4.1

Yet comparing to another list, I got, the CUDA readiness is synonyme with “GTX” suffix and not “GT” as stipulated above:

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/cuda/supported-gpus?field_gpu_type_value=All&page=2

Is this correct?

Kind regards
Mikael

Hi, it seams the Cuda support list miss the GT 650M but here are different informations:

https://www.nvidia.de/object/geforce-gt-650m-de.html#pdpContent=2

Eevee use OpenGL not Cuda but it give you a nice speedup if you use Cycles GPU+CPU render.

Cheers, mib

Wonderful. Paramount information!
Greetings and thanks from chilly Copenhagen :slight_smile: and Mikael

I would point out that Apple still hasnt given the green light to the Nvidia driver for Mojave (6 months so far… ). Apple and Nividia always lock horns, since apple has a deal with Radeon. If it was me i would go for one of the intel / radeon dual card macs.