Running Blender in Linux Mint 10

Hi! I’ve been using Blender in Windows for quite some time and recently decided to switch to Linux. So being a total newbie I decided to go for Linux Mint. The problem I’m having is that whenever I click on the Blender executable, I get a prompt asking me to specify which application should be used to run this particular program. I’ve tried a build from Graphicall as well as the official 2.56 build and get this prompt. I even tried the ol’ “chmod +x blender” and then “./blender” but still get this prompt. I hope I’ve made sense, would appreciate any help!

You can try the official linux build on blender.org.
I’ve had great success with Fish’s optimized builds from graphicall.
I use Ubuntu but it is very similar to Mint.
By the way, I used Mint for awhile and it’s pretty cool.
But then I tried Ubuntu and for some reason I found it easier. Now I’m hooked.

Thanx for the reply, but as I had said earlier, I can’t run any build from Graphicall or the official build from Blender.org. Quite frankly its blood frustrating! I’ve grown to love Linux and don’t want to go back to Windows. :frowning:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cheleb/blender-svn sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install blender From http://www.unixmen.com/linux-tutorials/1714-blender-257-is-released-with-a-new-design-multiple-windows-support-and-more : ) a

For some reason line break wont work… more tidy in the link :slight_smile: