rusty home-made robot

I’m digging the animation, starting too look pretty good. Modeling might not be your best talent at the moment, but it’s really not too hard to model stuff that looks awesome. To make a great model, a good process is to do some concept sketches done, to get the look, feel, design out of the way before you waste anytime modeling. Then in 3d, try to rough out your model with primitive shapes and get the feel for the volume and proportion. Only once that is up to satisfaction, then add in a bunch of small details, at least that’s how I work, and it works pretty well imo. Making as simple and clean meshes as possible also helps

Hey Yogyog…well …my animation skills almost suck…actually it was your simple design that got my attention…can’t wait to see more …later

OK - I’ve stopped moaning and updated the modelling on the pistons - the only section of the robot where there was really a problem. There are in fact 3 piston designs: this is because I sometimes used shift-D rather than alt-D to duplicate, but I’ll pretend it was deliberate as it adds to the robot’s home-made feel. I have used subsurf modelling with creases on the pistons, which is probably a bad habit.

Attachments

Looks good man, but I got a couple crits about the piece. The model is really great but I am not a huge fan of the rust on all the tubes. Seems a little too noisy and harsh for my taste. Also the brushed metal on the flat planes underneath the main body doesn’t looks right. Other then that it looks good!

[ATTACH]41353[/ATTACH]Thank you Dudebot!

You see I can happily tweak materials almost forever.

In some places, however, I’ve done the exact opposite of what you said. It’s meant to be rusty, you see… Actually I will turn the rust down on those iron bars at some point. If you look though, I’ve changed the materials, reducing rust, on every update, so this time I felt like adding more.

Also, no AO on the last pic. I’m using it for grime as much as for shadows. It needs it.

For some reason I can’t seem to combine AO with the “only shadows” function. Shame as I intend to use this with photo and video backgrounds. Is there a way round this?

Edit: whoops! same image again… what’s going on? will sort this out soon…

Edit: sorted.

Attachments

Found out how to get my subtract-AO shadows working! The problem is the shadowless sun AND the the subtract-AO together (providing shadows)… it turns out you have to turn the alpha value of your shadows only plane right down! Don’t understand why though.

About time this thread was up-dated. At least it’s quite a large one. Now the robot dances, and is joined by a selection of friends.