Ryzen 9 5900x vs 5950x ... is it worth it the extra cost?

Hi!

Finally very close to buy my dream PC, I will go for a very expensive GPU, so I am on my limit budget … is it worth it to get the 5950X, or the 5900x will do well?? The difference is +250€

I know it depends on what I do with it, but in one or two years I know I will push it hard in terms of physics sims, so I am afraid to get too short.

What’s your opinion??

Thanks in advance!

The most important feature is STP=Single Threaded Performance, even for simulations, afaik. So, save money for the GPU, in my opinion. Have you found the rest of the parts?
These two cpus have almost identical STP, so in this field the extra 250€ can be used for something more useful.
What gpu are you interested in, by the way?

Hey @birdnamnam, thanks a lot for your answer. Really good to know, bc I am already on the limit of my budget, it’s 4500 in total!

I am going for the NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3090

Actually these are the all the specifications of the machine, if you or anyone else have any comments, something I should change or take into account, I would appreciate if very much.

• 1x AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 12x 3.7 GHz
  • 1x ASUS ROG RYUO 240, Wasserkühlung
  • 1x Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Highend Wärmeleitpaste
  • 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB Kit, DDR4-3200 MHz (2x16GB), CL16
  • 1x ASUS ROG Strix B550-E Gaming WIFI+BT, AMD B550, AM4, ATX
  • 1x EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 24GB GDDR6X
  • 1x Corsair Force Series MP600, 2TB, M.2 PCIe 4.0 x4 (NVMe) SSD
  • 1x be quiet! Dark Power 12 850W, 80+ Titanium, Modular
  • 1x ATX-Midi Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 Mesh

They also have the 3090 by MSI (+200€) and by Inno3D (+100) … but I am not able to know what’s the difference…

You could shave off some € if you go for a 12700k from Intel. It would be even better in STP. You could pick a z690 motherboard with ddr4 memory. If you want I could make an alternative list of parts. In your list I would change a few things, by the way. Better go for 3600/cl14 ram with this processor.

Thanks a lot for your tips. Very much welcomed. But my brain is going to explode… so the Intel 12700k would be better? I took as a guide this page: https://opendata.blender.org/
And also after researching for some weeks on the web, I found the Ryzen 9 5900X was quite good.

I just configured a PC with the Intel processor and the motherboard you suggested (same GPU and RAM) and the price is 15€ difference…

I would appreciate a lot your considerations on what to change on that list.

Just checking the Ram options they offer with these machines, I don’t know why, but the 3600Mhz is only available when ordering 32Gb. When you order 64Gb they only have 3200Ghz options…

What you saw in the opendata page is the rendering performance of the CPU, but you’ll be doing rendering with the GPU, hence the 3090. So, what’s more important with applications like blender is to have good STP, which is the single core performance of the CPU. Most commands run on a single thread of the CPU. Rarely you’ll find tasks which are threaded. So the higher STP, the better.

As for the RAM kits, pick 2 kits of 32gb (2x16gb) if you don’t find a single 64gb kit.

I’ll post an alternative list of parts in a moment.

Consult the thermal metrics of that Intel processor before going for it. I am making almost exactly the same machine as you right now, except I’ll be going for a Founder’s Edition 3090 (1550e fixed price) and a Ryzen 5950 because of its power efficiency (hence thermals).

This is a list of parts I combined from Geizhals. de

It’s indicative. I would certainly buy two nvme’s for a system like that, as I did with mine. One for the OS and apps, and one for storage of valuable assets and textures (hundreds of GBs of material, which I need fast loaded in a project).

Edit: I correct myself. I meant 3600/CL16 in my previous post. 3600/CL14 is an expensive combination without much performance added accordingly.

@birdnamnam Thousand thanks! But you said to go for the Intel bc it woulb be cheaper, but your build is same price than the Ryzen I did. It’s just bc changing my mind from the Ryzen to the Intel will be like a lobotomy at this point.

But that’s why I asked here. I want to learn and to get the better option in my possibilities.

See of you can find the 3090 with a better price. The system I made has two nvme’s, so that’s why it’s a bit more expensive.

“Termal metrics”, another poetic term to add to my fried brain. Hahhahaah…
I will check it.

I was also thinking about the 5950X … but didn’t find a good reason for the extra 250€ cost.

Btw, the 3090 I am checking is around 2.900€ … where do you find a 3090 for 1550€??

Ah! It’s true, the 2 nvme’s! I had forgotten, so having two will improve the performance significantly, right?

It will improve the organising of storage data. Having one 2TB nvme for everything isn’t an option for a well organised system.
Here is the same list with the 5900X and a compatible motherboard.

And don’t fry your brain, please!! :laughing: We’re here to help!

The Founder’s Edition are the ones manufactured by Nvidia themselves, they always release for the same price. The 3090 goes for 1550e exactly. Here is a Telegram channel you can subscribe to for availability alerts in several countries : https://t.me/joinchat/AAAAAEii3xT81U1A6tLjrQ

Oh yeah! Thank youuuuu
This community always feels so good.

Hey! Thanks a lot for sharing that amazing and valuable link. But it hurts a bit to see those treasures half the price of what I will buy it … hahahahaa … and over 40.000 people waiting with their thumbs ready to press faster the link. So crazy times we live in …