Sabge game engine

yeah! I had some free time this week and I could improve some things a bit more.

4 Likes

ok, sent you a .blend by email ā€¦ How much is the membership of your patreon ? I really want to see my game run on sabge 1 day :slight_smile: This project seem terrific.

P.S hos the UI looks like ? Is there also some bricks/nodes to play with or simply text of codes to execute ?

It should be 5.
atm just code, in some time I will consider starting also with kickStarter or something similar to get the support to write the visual editors.
There will also be the ability to create GUIs for game menus through predefined tools, something like what I did in past in upbge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRKNAd50v-U

1 Like

Hey Iā€™m testing your level, these are the firsts screenshots, at the moment I donā€™t have normal maps on the shaders and this penalizes a bit the yield of the materials, later Iā€™ll try to create them starting from these albedo maps then iā€™ll update you!

4 Likes

very cool so far , looks promising . Little suggestion : maybe use a bit less full color lights, like an ice-cream maker holds reputation from his vanilla flavor :slight_smile: But i understand its to emphasize the light illumination

With the update, the walls gonna reflect more light ? This looks already amazing

OMG This is BEAUTIFUL Mann nice work @lopas

i can truly see SABGE truly becoming something official someday :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:t2:

Fred/K.S

1 Like

Wow, this is looking really great.
Iā€™m a bit late to the game, but I just saw a video showing your node system. Looks pretty interesting.
Canā€™t wait to get my hands on it and take it for a spin.
M

yes i agree! Now i moved to deferred rendering so a large number of lamps could be used for better shading (in the night time for example)

2 Likes

lighting could be better thoā€¦

Fred/K.S

wow, thatā€™s very impressive . I wonder how far you can push this. Whats your computer specs ? Would you show a video later ?

yes I think so too, this map that @blenderaptor sent me is very useful to test the shaders and to evaluate which techniques to develop to obtain a good dynamic shading (day / night cycle based changes) at a good price (computation cost).
To further improve the performance so I think I could simply play with the ambient light or possibly assign a particular dynamic probe, not the sky one, but a more coherent / representative one of the internal environment :thinking:

1 Like

iā€™m working on a notebook, an ASUS TUF GAMING FX504, nothing very powerful nowadays, the gpu is a GTX 1050 Ti and the cpu is an i7 8750H

Yeah! I will post a video where mario goes around spawning point lamps! :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

In the image below the sky probe is interpolated with a simplified probe of constant value = [0.3,0.3,0.3] which is a way to locate the ambient light in a certain area.
In this case, the origin is in the center of the room and interpolates to the sky probe according to a distance value that can be configured for the shader.

This system could work well for dynamic objects (like mario) so when he moves there will be no abrupt changes on his ambient lighting values.
For static objects, on the other hand, I refer to the structure of the building, it could be optimized, separating the indoor meshes from the outdoor ones, assigning only the indoor ambient light probe to the indoor ones and only the sky probe to the outdoor meshes.
However, these values ā€‹ā€‹can vary dynamically and therefore be artistically programmed to be consistent with the day night cycle. It wonā€™t be as accurate as eeveeā€™s irradiance volume but at least itā€™s dynamic, then the ssgi an ssao will do the rest

2 Likes

Wooahh ā€œThaatā€ looks good seems like u added Env Lighting, but i suspect that itā€™s one of those advanced lamps of yrs ā€¦

Nice work there bud @lopas
U know sometimes i wish youā€™d be the one to make regular commits on the UPBGE Git :grinning: i could only dream of your input aiding the 0.3.0 development commits ā€¦

Fred/K.S

Fred/K.S

Do you think you can achieve something like this by playing with lights ? :wink:

Maybe consider that Lopas is doing R&D . @lopas , itā€™s based on eevee ? Sorry, i have silly questions sometimes. I donā€™t follow the progress of upbge . I dont understand what PBR is for example x)

2 Likes

this project, despite its name, has nothing to do with bge, blender, or eevee. the only similarity is opengl i think

1 Like

That level of graphics can be achieved with a deferred renderer and then 40-50 lights expertly positioned and adjusted arenā€™t a big problem. I also see a soft SSAO similar to mine, so I think that something like tihis could be feasible, but what Iā€™m really focusing on is the dynamism of the light. While, you can simulate static lights accurately by representing indirect bounces with secondary lamps, baked light maps, or baked probes, dynamic lamps instead, which change position, or for example even the sun entering through a window and reflecting on the floor or on the walls, it colors the whole room differently depending on the time of day that variesā€¦ this is practically impossible to simulate with those techniques. so Iā€™m spending lot of time having fun doing research and development especially in that direction. The SSGI Iā€™m working on goes in this direction and on high frequencies it gives excellent results, but on the low frequencies it has limitations obviously due to from the SS (beacuse in Screen Space the geometry and other useful infos are only the ones visible on the screen). But thatā€™s okay, the more techniques you have to mix, the better will be! artistically, in this way, very convincing approximations could be reached
This is low frequency SSGI test. (High frequency will be added later for details)

2 Likes

Yes, it is a completely independent project from the point of view of the sources (and this actually has the advantages we have already talked about). However, there are some similarities to bge that go beyond just using OpenGL (which doesnā€™t mean anything). These similarities certainly do not concern making animations, 3D modeling, texturing and positioning of objects to build scenarios, these are things that can and must be done with blender and therefore there must be no similarities with blender modeler because I actually use already the blender modeler for this kind of work in the game development! Excluding these artistic aspects of game development, the logic remains; the programming of the game mechanics should cover 90% of the remaining work. It is in this respect that I aim to maintain similarities with the bge. I like the API of the bge very much and I am fond of it, for this reason the game object class reports many of the functions proposed by the original game object class in the bge. As well as the Scene class and other classes. Then of course they have been extended to support new features but almost all the classic old functions that I have used for years in the bge can also be found in sabge. This means that creating a script for some object in sabge is very similar to doing it for the same object in the bge! Finally, as regards the logic bricks, the development of an editor has already been started (at the moment it is in stand-by) in which the same logic bricks of the bge are proposed again through a node system.
You can see it in action on the old sabge 2D here:

3 Likes

thats why it should be called SAGE Engine

STANDALONE GAME ENGINE - ENGINE !!!

Nobody is goina care if it has been based on Blender because its standalone so it shouldnā€™t carry the blender name in it!

i call it SAGE Engineā€¦

Fred/K.S

So in Essence youā€™re trying to revitalize the BGE in a new WAY completely independent of the Host?
If so What will be the deployment paths and what licensing will this Engine use, srry remind me again this thread is long iam sure you might have mentioned previously but i may have forgotten @lopas ā€¦

Either way great work and keep pushing man i support your effortsā€¦

Fred/K.S