Sabge game engine

just finished implementing the shadows for skinned meshes. Ok the shadows for sunLamp and spotLamp, now we are working on the shadows for pointLamp

4 Likes

You can also create new bricks logic containing that sophisticated features.
Visual scripting is not exclusive, you can also code.

This is clear for what people the engine is adressed.
I donā€™t have issues doing code for specific things, but i got some minimal expectations, for example a good level editor.
Iā€™ll wait until Sabge gets released and propose a level editor, it could be a very interesting game engine.

Does the engine already supports light probes for materials rendering ?

Do you plan a global illumination ?
Something like Blender irradiance volume baking, or something more advanced perhaps.

In fact the goal is to merge the pythonComponent system with the logicBricks system

yes, I would advise those who do not have a good relationship with the code to not consider sabge until it is equipped with a level editor and visual programming system

Equirectangular maps are supported in the PBR material shader as IBL and specular reflections.

At the moment iā€™m more focused on techniques that do not need the baking of special textures in order to have good looking graphics suitable for dynamic scenes and real time light changes.

3 Likes

Thanks to some useful comments here on the forum I thought to rewrite the Sabgeā€™s lamps system. Now Sabge can manage up to 256 lamps simultaneously, just as if these lamps were common objects. Adding or removing a lamp is as simple as doing spawAsset (ā€¦) / endObject (). Each lamp influences any object in the scene. They can be generated as premade assets or procedurally simply attaching to a generic object added to the scene the preferred lamp component among sun, spot, spotSquare, point, for each of these types of lamps it is also possible to generate shadows.
Later I will think about supporting other types of lampsā€¦
Currently, sabge, mounts a forward rendering engine so we have to keep in mind that having 256 lamps at the same time could be heavy for our gpu!

2 Likes

PBR material shader and shadows improvements using Percentage closer filtering applied on the contours of the shadows only

6 Likes

In order to test/debug Sabge, iā€™m creating this super mario demo. This morning i started creating the simplest of super marioā€™s enemies. At the moment I donā€™t have any 3D animations for him, just this spritesā€™ anim about the eyes that open and close, so as soon as I want to take a break from coding, iā€™ll open blender and iā€™ll fun creating by my own some animations for this goomba to import in Sabge. I specify that I donā€™t want to create a complete game, just a little number of levels in order to exhaustively test the functionalities of this ge. Iā€™m using this demo also to make a series of tutorials that will be published when i release the first versione of this game engine. However, please donā€™t be in a hurry for it, Iā€™m alone and I want to do things right, Sabge must be properly tested and accompanied by the necessary support material before it will be out

stress test (without special optimizations):

3 Likes

sideFlip / sideJump / airKick
(still a little bit to improve)

3 Likes

looks very cool. You made the music ?

Yes, i use it in my game, but i was thinking about an improved one. For exemple, when idling, the camera can rotate all around, when moving it comes behind, etc . Basicaly, linking the actuator to 1 or 2 paramters like the action actuator already does.

looking foward further progress of your engine :partying_face:

these more specific features at the moment do not have a high priority as they can be implemented easily by the game-dev, however as soon as I happen to write them in some demo/game, I will take into consideration the fact of writing them directly in the camera API in order to make them already available :smiley:

Thank you!, the one in the video is not mine, it is a remake of a soundtrack from donkey kong (if I remember correctly) I liked it so I put it as a background for the current scenario, but sometimes I change so I donā€™t get boredā€¦

i usually watch videos without sound, but i went back and had a listen. donkey kong had some of the best soundtracks, i recognised the tune instantly! very nice :sunglasses:

2 Likes

whatā€™s the name of that song ?

saBGE - ā€œStand Aloneā€ Blender Game Engine !!!

Just to recap on this Game Engine, so its standalone rightā€¦

• Well have you ever considered the thought that BGE without blender is actually not BGE? @lopas
    im not teasng or being mean or anything im just trying to make sense of this engine whatā€™s the purpose of its existence why wouldnā€™t it be part of blender anymore?
    (This Engine is supposed to be complete because of the Blender Package!)

BLENDER GAME ENGINE - Comes and contains all of Blenderā€™s tools that can help in creating a game that functions with the internal Realtime Game Engine! (unless you are willing to recreate all the tools that blender offered in order to provide a perfect workflow just for the standalone BGE then itā€™d make sense that this engine would come alone without cycles or blender render)

saBGE:
To me its just another game engine and has nothing to do with blender so it shouldnt be called standalone blender game engine, if it doesnā€™t use BGE Source code. (saBGE could might as well just be another version of GODOT or like an ā€œOn the RISE Unity 3Dā€, and one that has BGE Coating over its name or that shares the same interface that blender had)

This project might just amalgamate into something else and be renamed, its better than to avoid the confusion with newbies coming to blender and discovering UPBGE/ BGE.

Now in the case that the API is a remake or a correction of a sort to the BGE, itā€™s fine; im not saying that shut down your project or rename the engine, its already too late; id suggest you stick to your plan but bare in mind if you are still designing the Interface or Building upon its API pls consider using the same architecture of the blender software, because its purpose is set around being a standalone version of BGE (or this is atleast what the name entails), which itā€™s supposed to be; but otherwise the work is great and amazing and i feel many people will use this engine in the future and make great content.

donā€™t shy away from Blenderā€™s interface lol (try your best to include all the tools that kept BGE users using BGE/ UPBGE tools that unified BGE and blender and i think thatā€™s what made BGE unique from all other Engines)

Fred/K.S

When the project began, the idea was to create a stand alone game engine whose API replicated that of the bge in many respects. So simply by combining the words ā€œstand aloneā€ and ā€œbgeā€ I called it ā€œsabgeā€. Actually this is what it is, a stand alone engine, which connects to blender via plugins in order to get the needed data (meshes, collisionMeshes, armatures, animationsā€¦) and which under many aspects resumes the bgeā€™s API, so it doesnā€™t seem to be a so inappropriate name, however it is only a name if you want to call it ā€œlopas engineā€ or something else for me is equal XD :stuck_out_tongue:
But there are some differences and additional features, if the only difference was in being stand alone, this engine just wouldnā€™t have really made any sense! An engine that does the same things as the bge and that also needs export - import process :crazy_face: ā€¦who could ever take it into consideration??!

2 Likes

Are you saying that you are using absolutely 0% of BGEā€™s code, not even copied, translated or inspired?

Inspired I would say yes, in the sense that I have tried to replicate many functions that I used to use in bge. My gameObject class has many functions called like those you find in the bgeā€™s KX_GameObject class and that, in the end, do the same things. A specific example could be the ā€œalignAxisToVectā€ function, from the user point of view it is the same, in substance it could be different in terms of code / implementation, (but the math should be the same). I chose to use the same names for a matter of habit, and simplify the games porting ā€¦I donā€™t think Iā€™m infringing some copyrights in this, I say right?

Thereā€™s a precedent where copying an API turned out to be ok. But if implementation is copied, then copyrights would apply (GPL in this case). But like you said, in some cases there isnā€™t too many ways to implement some things, so code is ought to look alike in these situations. I think this is like walking on a thin line, but I just wanted to make sure that you were aware :slight_smile:

The demos look pretty good! Whatā€™s the end goal with this project?

1 Like

Thank you, if you mean the goal of the super mario demo is simply to test the engine and possibly find inspirations to implement more specific features, I know I cannot distribute nor even sell such a thing. As for Sabge instead, I know that it could hardly be interesting for many game devs atm, as it is not equipped with visual development tools. I have no particular interest in developing them as I am fine using code only, and build visual tools costs me time, for this I have created a patreon page, in case I find some support I would devote more time in this direction and therefore also to the production of
documentation, tutorials etc ā€¦ Otherwise continue to invest my time mainly on the development of demos and then games.

just implemented in sabge the per_object & per_pixel motionBlur

the problem here is that by increasing the size of the silhouette (needed), even the background, which in this case should not be considered by the fx, results blurred around mario ā€¦ Iā€™m thinking about some solution, perhaps using the depth buffer ā€¦ :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

1 Like

Today Iā€™m working on the component dedicated to particles managed by the GPU in order to make it more flexible and therefore suitable for representing different situations.
At the moment Iā€™m ok on the management of particles as physical entities: how many particles must be born per frame, particle death, physical simulation (initial linear velocity, rebound elasticity, collision bound size, etc.)
The next step will be about graphics, i would like to have the possibility of replacing these simple round and bright particles with any mesh we can import in sabge.

3 Likes