Sam Trowels Desk

Here is a project I have been working on off and on for way to long. I finally got the gumption to bring it to this point. I am going to call it finished because I cant think of anything more to do with it.
I was wanting to create a mood and a picture that would be interesting to look at while you could imagine a story behind it.
Its rendered at 3k samples, with a smidge of denoising (to much gets uglier than specks imo) with a smidge of glow in the compositor (trying to make it feel real but not overdone). To get the vibe I used the filmic setting with low contrast. I used a smidge of DOF also.
Hope you like it!

Attachments


Here is a no material render at 250 samples. I always dig clays and what.

Comments and critiques are always welcome!

Attachments


I think to really set the mood you need volumetrics. It can change a ton on an image. Gleb Alexandrov teaches it very well in this tutorial…


Though this will bring up the render time so don’t go overboard!
AS well as this, I think some textures might need some work, the floor for example could use a simple rug texture or tile texture depending on your preference. Even adding an image to the books could help. The table would look nice with some scratches or imperfections. 3dwolf has some great textures for this.

Hey, thanks for the critique!
I fooled with volumetrics on this a while back, haven’t with the current lighting setup, so I will mess with that again.
I haven’t messed with the carpet in a while, mebe add a normal map to the carpet. will check it out.
The books do have a texture on them, I have a wild rust texture on them so it can hopefully add that bit of texture (pic below).
I have a scratched texture on the desk, will experiment some more with bringing out the scratches without making it look like a avocado!
Keep the opinions coming!

Attachments


The items ON the desk are kind of unconvincing to me… Maybe a texture on the beige folder and maybe curl the papers a little bit so they aren’t completely flat. Cant wait to see this progress!

Heres the latest, tossed a spot of volume in it, and turned the normal on the floor up to 10… Its rendered at 6k samples… 14.5 hours later on my GTX 780! Which I don’t see to much noise reduction from the 3k test renders that I ran as tests. oh well.

Attachments