Same gender marriage

i don’t care what gays do as long as its not around me. just like straight people.

talking about the silly argument that homosexuality is against nature again…

I remember going on a guided tour of Rotterdam zoo where they have a large collection of pink flamingos.

Breeding pairs often have more eggs than they can take care of - if nothing was done, the extra eggs would be abandoned by the parents.

However, they get a certain percentage of homosexual pairs - and the zoo keepers have discovered that they can give the extra eggs to the gay flamingoes, who are apparently just as successful at raising the chicks…

I reject homosexualism from a religious point-of-view. (1.500.000.000 people with me).

Beside that, it makes me feel crappy when I see two boys/girls kissing in the street.
Actually (i don´t want to hurt somebody) I think that somebody who is gay, really can love somebody of a different sexe, if he really wants, and maybe goes in theraphy. homophili, almost ever is a ´grown´ deviation. I mean: Somebody is not born as a gay.

oh lord. How many gay people do you know personally? Are you basing this wisdom on your conversations wth gay people? I’ve spent my life around gay folks - i’m not gay but I’ve got lots of friends who are, because it doesnt’ bother me.

Homosexuality is not a choice, no more than being left handed or right handed. Some folks - a small few, make the choice - and there are those like my ex brother in law who WAS gay and has tried everything within his power to live the straight and narrow lifestyle. It’s like watching a fish try to walk.

So. No. It is unfortunate that you’re relying on a book written over 1000 years ago to help you decide what you will and will not tolerate in a completely different world.

The bible also tells you not to eat shellfish, that women can’t wear tweed, that men are allowed to have concubines, that if you die, your brother has to marry your wife and continue to produce kids.

How LONG are you going to continue to rely on a rulebook written for a primitive culture?

to quote tshirthell.com:

“I don’t oppose gay marriage, as long as both chicks are hot”

:wink:

Roel

LOL roel… that’s a good one.

Ok few things. I have gay friends… and say a male friend of mine is telling me what he did with his new boyfriend… that’s great you know and I love to hear he’s happy. But as a straight guy, I have to imagine he’s talking about a girl or it’ll make me slightly uncomfortable. To me it’s just not a nice image.
Then again… when I tell him about my girl… it’s the same for him. So when someone says “do what you want, but not on the street” then you shouldn’t kiss your girl in public either, or hold hands with her.

But your feelings about homosexuality aren’t really the issue.

Thing is: Gay couples are sharing their lives all over the planet, that’s a fact and we all know it. They live together just like straight couples do and have the same worries/issues.

So the question is… why would these couples then not have the same rights & duties as all the other couples living together? This includes marriage.

And hell… the same goes for 3 guys too for all I care… I mean poligamy… go right ahead.

And America is incredibly conservative. I believe there’s more seriously religious christians in america than anywhere else in the world. So religion is a huge part of it. Since most voters are christians, the american government has to take them into account.
Europe is not half as religious as the US, that’s why we are also a lot more relaxed when we’re talking about same sex marriages.

The reason it’s an issue at all is because for every gay couple, an insurance company is making mad crazy money because neither one can cover the other as a dependent.

So, for all of you with a wife on your insurance plan, imagine how much more you’d pay per month if she HAD to have her own policy. And there’s LOTS of gay folks out there.

The insurance industry knows/fears that they’ll lose lots of money if the gay marriage IS recognized by the government. And THAT is why the president is looking to ban it… or, continue to ban it, I suppose.

These couples are already married in their minds. I know couples that have been together for decades. Can you imagine the money they’ve spent on monthly insurance payments? Would it not drive you insane, knowing that your neighbor has the right to cover their whole family and at the same time has the right to make a decision whether you can have the same privelege?

I am basing this wisdom not at personal conversations (though I had), but on books a read. And I think the writers have a point, at least: where smoke is, is fire.
By the way: Homophilia is not a choice, and I never said that too. But Homosexuality is a sure choice, but I know what you mean.
I don´t say it is wrong to be a gay, it is wrong to be a homosexual
I can´t defend my point of views in this case, because both of our arguments are based on a certain authority.

So. No. It is unfortunate that you’re relying on a book written over 1000 years ago to help you decide what you will and will not tolerate in a completely different world.

The bible also tells you not to eat shellfish, that women can’t wear tweed, that men are allowed to have concubines, that if you die, your brother has to marry your wife and continue to produce kids.

How LONG are you going to continue to rely on a rulebook written for a primitive culture?

By the way the Bible is written from 5000 years ago till 2000 years.
Beside that, the world did change, but people don´t change. The main things written in it are still useful and helpful.
But if you don´t believe there is a God, then you dont see the bible as a book full of wisdom.
About that tweed, i dont know where that stands. About the shellfish: After the year zero, many laws got lost. About the concubines: i could not find that. About the brother: In that time it you needed an offspring who took care of you in your old days. This ´law´ is not in use any more because of social laws, it is not needed anymore. However, sexual laws are still in use, because that is a moral matters and not a social.

I hope to rely forever on the bible. It is still relevant in this time.
How would the world look like if we where all a Jesus? I think the world would be perfect. But thats an other discussion.

After this, i would like to say that my english isn´t that good and I could have said things who are said wrong.And could be misunderstood. my apologizes for that.

Bart

Still not a single post from the people voting against it. I don’t think the other side has a leg to stand on here. It’s discrimination, pure and simple.

me OVER HERE. see two or three posts above :stuck_out_tongue:

Modron: Wow. I could not have said it better myself. Mind if I use that for my signature? ;).

beau: Agreed.

The science argument posted near the beginning of this thread is interesting, but really not very convincing. My brother did a bunch of research on different levels of religious fundamentalism a few months back, and believe me, there is a flat earth society and they have “scientific” reasons for saying the earth is flat.

The slippery slope argument also doesn’t hold much water. As has been said, there are already lots of gay couples living together that are married in every sense of the word except for the legal one. The whole slippery slope seems like the fear of loss of control that happened countless times in the past. Our society will end if other races are given the right to vote! Oh No! :-? . Our society will end if people of different sexual orientation are allowed to get married. Oh No! :-? .

Saying that allowing homosexual marriage will redefine hetersexual marraige sounds to me like saying “I’m insecure about my (marraige/sexuality/ego/etc) and feel too scared about something that challenges that.”

Also, Modron, in the spirit of your comment, we’re talking about the head of a government that is interfering in scientific research for political gain http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=04/02/24/1554238 and continues to screw the poor while catering to the rich. For a perfect example and explanation read this: http://www.pkarchive.org/economy/TaxCutCon.html

Sometimes I think Faulkner is right about the “adult fatalism” that people have to have towards suffering in this world.

Well. Cheers,

:smiley:

block01cube

The science argument posted near the beginning of this thread is interesting, but really not very convincing. My brother did a bunch of research on different levels of religious fundamentalism a few months back, and believe me, there is a flat earth society and they have “scientific” reasons for saying the earth is flat.

:o So… you mean… the earth isn´t flat?? WHoa thats what my parents allways told me! But the bible says the wind blows from the all the four edges of the world so it cant be a sphere. :o

:stuck_out_tongue:

In no way am I criticizing anyone’s religion. I just don’t like it being used to tell ME how to live. Use the bible to help you live your life, but stop using it to tell me how to live mine.

again, if you dont like gay folks, fine, then don’t date one.

If the bible were written 2000 years ago, then how exactly were they able to cover the death of Jesus, which happened less than 2000 years ago? Strange.

Now I’m gonna shut up about all this nonsense and go back to figuring out how to make eyelids that can blink.

k respect ^^

ehm about the bible: the last book written was in the year 65 after Christ.
so instead of 1939 years ago i said 2000, i rounded it.
NO and don´t ask if it was AM or PM cuz I don´t know :slight_smile:

Where in the new testament does it say you can’t have sex with other of the same sex?(an actual question I haven’t read it…)
Because I don’t think you would support what is said in the old testament, alltough I’ve seen an tendency among christians to pick waht they want from the bible, and then it would be wrong to blame the belief for what you think in any question. [!]

NateTG wrote

what is obviously natural: One male, one female.

No Nate,…that is not obvious at all. In fact, homosexuality exsists throughout the animal kingdom. It is not an exclusive invention of man. Natural according to you perhaps, but not to nature? :wink: …but then I somehow doubt you have done the research on this before making such a statement.
<edit> Block1cube, yes you may use my statement in your sig, and also, no need to clarify,…I used to run a politics forum, so I am actually informed about this stuff.

hm,

doesn’t homosexuality really mean 'the sexuality of humans

homo= human

like in homosapiens…

What i don’t like in the whole discussion is the tendency of religion mixing with goverment.

In Europe we have sepperation from church and state.

People have freedoms of speech, of religion.

The goverment and the law should also be seperated. (see of the case in wich berlusconi makes a law to protect himself from procecution)

I’m not an American, but I always understood that the bill of rights and the Constitution are pretty sacred. But if a president or a goverment can just alter this because it doesn’t fit their political and religious agenda, the constitution would become very shallow in my view.

Anyway, gay people, are people, why should they nog have the same rights as others?
I find it strange that a religion that preaches compassion and love and understanding, can be so not-understanding at certain points

greets
pinhead_66

@nico:
objectively seen marriage is an union for sharing everything.
a dog has no estate and does not need to pay fee like a human beeing, so marrying a dog makes no sens.
where is your problem in two men loving each other? every1 should have the right to live with whomever he wants.
like another allready told, you cant choose if your are gay or not - and homosexuality is as human as normal love.

@pin head:
“homo” does not come from the latin afaik - its greek and means equal.
and there is not really much more freedom in europe, just have a look at france telling you what you have to wear at school … in america this would be called freedom of speech … anyway, just listen to “the eye of the beholder” :wink:

isnt there any homosexuality in the bible? i cant see any passages against gayness - or against sex before the marriage …

‘homo’ = ‘the same’

Modron: the clarification wasn’t aimed specifically at you. Hopefully those articles can maybe open a few eyes.

Cheers,

block01cube