Same material , same texture different results on 2 objects in same scene

In the middle render window you see a Chesterfield armchair in DARK brown leather. To it’s left and further back are two armchairs with the same material and texture that appear as LIGHTER brown leather. All chairs consist of parent objects with children being their parts. Each part is assigned a material and texture. (so it’s actually parts of the chair that are the same leather)
See the outline window to the right. The upholstery in both chair types is identical: material and texture.
I had at some point attempted to lighten the leather using the color menu under the texture, but in the end I only have this one texture applied to both.

Q1 — Any ideas what maybe happening?
Q2 — In addition the upholstery in the armchairs in the background has a cloudy patch “on” the material… There are no double vertices, no mapping (intentionally), no other texture slots than the one leather. What can be happening?
Q3 — I see people in the forum checking the data structure in such cases using an “oops” window. Where is that?

-Christos (perplexed)

Specularity ? / Lighting ?

I see no blend file to check !

Last version of blender with an OOPS schematic was 2.49b

About Q2 the cloudy patches : Same scene, same lights, same settings. Different camera shows the same chair areas without the patches…

What about specularity? Sorry I don’t get you. Which question are you replying to?
In principle wouldn’t a change in specularity apply to the material and therefore the same to all users (objects)?

It looks like that you have assigned your dark (or DARK if you prefer) leather material to the armchair frame and not on the cushions. The frame probably doesn’t have a proper texture mapping so it looks very different from the Chesterfield chair.

Are the grey sides on the background chairs the “cloudy patches” you are referring to?
In your second view I can’t see them, but I wonder if it’s because the normals for those faces are pointing into the chair, away from the camera?

No JA , the dark wood frame is another wood material.
The cushion is highlighted in the 3D windows on the left side. A strange thing is in object mode the side has “jagged” edges with loose ends. (this was after aplying a decimation modifier) In edit mode there is a mesh in place with faces filling the sides.

Alright. That was my only guess. Can’t say more without more information.

Thank you all. Richard, JA you are right to ask for more info of course, but I was hesitant because files are big 60MB and

• I didn’t know how to embed the texture images.
  • I could upload to cloud I guess and post a link, I’ve done it for smaller files. How would you exchange blend files for assistance?

The normals were correct. The cloudy patches have to do with specular reflections. Specular intensity was set to 1. I had to lower it down to 0.1 for the patches to go away. Isn’t that a very low setting? where does one start? no “reasonable” defaults?

Why-oh-why is my previewer crawling today with the same model, same layers, same lights? no other applications running…

Thank you! JA :slight_smile:

Now I have found out what goes on with the variations in color of the leather - or rather, where the problems are coming from.
In order to have color variations based on the same image, I change the color parameters in the texture.
Even if I create multiple texture maps with different names, each of which has different color values - this seems to create confusion and the maps seem somehow linked and changing one changes the other with a different name…

I’m confused. Should I save the color changes in a new image? do I have to? What am I doing wrong?