Same texture but different tones in two halves of the same object

Hi all, I’m new to Blender and am trying to figure out some problems in texturing. I applied a few textures on a building model and it was completely fine until today, when all of a sudden one half of the building started showing a different tone of the same texture. When I change the texture, it still give two separate tones. I originally built the model with the mirror modifier and applied it once I was done with it. For the past week, the texture was homogenous across the building as it should be, but something happened today and now ALL of my models show different tones in two different halves. Any help would be much much appreciated!!!

First off, welcome to the community, @VRHumanities ! It may all depend exactly when you applied your mirror modifier and when objects started showing this issue, but I’d bet dollars to donuts that if you recalculate your normals outside by selecting your object while in Edit Mode by pressing A and then press Ctrl + N, that you’ll be right as rain. Give that a go and report back with success or not success!

1 Like

Thank you for the response @Hunkadoodle! I recalculated the normals outside as you said, but it didn’t change the differences in texture. Weird thing is, I have the same issue in all of my separate blender files (all building models), not just one, and it all happened simultaneously at some point.

Can you show us a screenshot of the node setup for the shader? Maybe one of the textures is not getting mapped correctly.

Here it is. It’s a texture I downloaded from polyhaven.

Nothing wrong here… But this is not the only material on your object right? Are the materials assigned to the left and right portion of the object the same?

I think I figured it out. The different shades disappear once I reduce the strength of the Normal Map down to 0. I don’t know if that impacts anything else, but the difference in texture is gone for now. Thank you for your help!

So it may have something to do with the UVs, as you are using the tangent space for evaluating the normal maps.

If you have to zero out the Normal map that tends to tell me that @Hunkadoodle was right about the Normals…I would also hazard a guess that if you were to enter edit mode and then in the Overlays turn on Face Orientation, that half of the mesh would be Blue and Half Red…something to do with your mirror modifier messed up…I have seen this happen many times but usually imported meshes that were built with a mirror function…

The Normals were probably messed up in some way, you’re right. But the entire mesh was blue when I turned on the Face Orientation. It might have been that the texture got messed up because I applied the mirror modifier after putting on the texture. Perhaps applying it first and then texturing would work better? In any case, glad we somewhat resolved the issue.

1 Like