same Texture in Material and Viewport?

Hi

i already asked this in the beginners section
but with no luck so far…
is it possible to have the same texture in the viewport as in the material?
its quite confusing to see different textures in the viewport than there really are

greetings

The UV editor view port I assume. Yes, Blender is fussy this way. Because you can work in texture face mode, which means you can apply many textures to various faces on your model, simply by mapping the selected faces to the image in the UV editor, blender doesn’t know which image you mean. This is silly though because I always work in GLSL mode, and if I give 1 material 1 texture channel, for instance, and assign lets say “stone-wall.png” to that channel, it ought to know that’s what I want to see when I go into the UV editor. Nope. I have to scroll around to find it.

well yes the uv-editor and the actual viewport
i just want to see my mesh as it really is
now i just have to render it to see what it looks like =/

Setting the viewport to Textured view and in the Properties (N key) / Display / Shading to GLSL will show the materials textures (as long as image textured) in the 3d view as they would be rendered. Using textures just in the UV/image eitor will not show how it will be rendered, the textures need to be applied in the material / texture panel

Nope. Use GLSL mode. It will show you everything, exactly how it will render:

Stand by for a quick video. 5 minutes.

that would be exactly what i am looking for (the right image in the uv-editor isnt soooo important -> im used to it from max^^)
but glsl looks like this =/

edit:
i noticed the only materials that are shown is one where there was no texture found (doesnt exist yet) and one created myself because there was something wrong with the imported version
edit2:
just prooved my thoughts
i deleted one material an created the exact same material
and now it shows correctly in glsl-mode
but its no option to do that every time i import and .obj :smiley:

@3dmedieval: thanks :slight_smile:

Ok, here it is. You may need to turn your sound up a bit. My mic is clean, but a little quiet (yes, I’ve played with my input settings). Hope this helps. Available in 1080p

i think there was an misunderstanding
all i want to see is where which texture is on my mesh
no fancy shading needed
or didnt i get it? :smiley:
but thanks anyway

Ah. You basically have to decide on a shading mode. Just use materials - a lot of people don’t quite get that. They assume that if they assign a texture in the UV editor, that’s what’s on their mesh. Sure, but that will only work in texture face or multi texture mode. Use GLSL mode, use materials and use texture channels - watch the video and you’ll see where I’ve assigned a materiel and texture channels. If you don’t know why I have so many texture channels, don’t worry for now - they do differnt things. Assign a material, create a new texture channel, assign a texture to it, set the mapping to whatever you like (I use UV unwrapped models all the time), unwrap your model (if you want to use UV mapping, which I find to be a hell of a lot more precise), and that’s it. The texture that is on your mesh is the one you assigned to the material/texture channel.

Blender is a bit confusing. There are a lot of ways to do pretty much everything. To combat this (I’m not super smart), I use one method all the time. I can use other methods, but in the beginning, I suggest you grab 1 method and stick to it.

If you don’t want to mess with GLSL shading, just Multitexture/Solid Textures mode, then you have to keep in mind that whatever Image Texture is currently associated with the UV-unwrapped mesh in the UV Texture Editor is the one that will be displayed in the UI viewport.

For example, I frequently use multiple Image Textures for a single Material, as many as six or more. They can be different image dimensions (though usually the same proportions), and I often Texture Paint on them all. So for any one channel/slot in my Material’s Textures list, I’ll often need to see that in the UI & in the UV Texture Editor. So I Select All while the mesh is in Edit Mode, and in the UV Editor, switch to whatever Texture I want to work on at the time. From what I can tell, all the mesh vertices must be selected to switch from one Texture to the next this way.

Hope this is informative.

hm
i only got one texture per material
and i assign materials by selecting some polys and then click the assign button next to the material
isnt that the right way to do it?

and i figured out how the materials in glsl-mode will show in the viewport
i have to activate transparency and set the alpha to 1
dont know why
but if i have to do it, ill do it^^

this problem is now kind of solved
thanks for all your help
but i got 1,5 more that fit in the materials and textures area

first
how can i point all of my textures at once to a new location
my folder where the textures once were is moved so i want to change the path off all textures at once
or something like an indirect path in the diffuse-slot and add the folder to the external recourses as i would have done it in max

second
all the names of the textures are in tall letters
but the actual files are not
for example:
OcOdWaQuadStone.tga in blender, but the file is named OCODWAQUADSTONE.TGA
and blender doesnt find the texture on my hdd until i rename it EXACTLY like the file
any ideas?

if you use the “material utils” addon (it comes bundled) then all you have to do is run the “materials–>texface” function (from teh popup menu on the “q” key…

there’s a utility to “find” textures in teh file menu… should allow you to repath the ones it’s not finding…

As for names you’re best using python to do a conversion on the data paths… or knuckling under with a batch rename facility.

something like

import bpy

for i in bpy.data.images:
i.name = (function to change case to lower here…)

I have to go so can’t look that up but it’s something like
i.name.lower()

i only got one texture per material
and i assign materials by selecting some polys and then click the assign button next to the material
isnt that the right way to do it?
If you want to have 1 material on an object, simply select the object, go the materials panel and give it a material. Get out of the mindset of selecting materials by face, unless of course you use texture face, which is sort of pointless to me. You need to have materials to render, so why not just assign a material to an object, and give it some textures. Simple.

You can have multiple materials on an object, and you can assign materials by face, but to start, just give your object a material, then give it textures via channels in the texture panel.

At the end of the day, it’s what you are comfortable with. If you want to render, you need materials. If you want to create game models, you don’t need materials, but that will only work in texture face and m.texture modes. Use materials.

well
if i go to
file -> external data -> find missing files
and then select the right dir blender eats up 50% of my cpu (dual core) and does nothing
i canceled after over an hour
the mesh got 170 materials with an texture between 1k and 4k res in tga-format each

and batch renaming would be extremely difficult because i cant change the names of the actual files -> the textures are for an game which require these names
and they arent just lower-case but like OcOdFlLightGroundDa.tga

Are you saying that you have 170 materials on your mesh in reality, or is this an error you are pointing out? If you do have 170 materials, stop and regroup - you’ve confused materials and textures. You can have a few materials on a mesh, it’s true, but 170…no.

whats wrong with havin as much materials as having textures?
its a (part of an) levelmesh of an open-world-rpg and the game uses the materials-names for stuff like the sound when you walk over the polys

You simply don’t need that many materials. Sounds - use properties in logic. Also. you don’t need to join everything. Wow. Ok, I can’t make any more comments on that…Trust me. Regroup here, and read/watch some tuts. No offense. You are headed down the wrong path. One reason is scene organization - you began this thread because you are confused. You will be if every object has hundreds of materials and textures…

its not the blender-game-engine im talking about
and i did not make the mesh - its a mesh from the game (gothic 1 if anyone knows it :-P)
i just imported it and now want to rework it
worked pretty good that way in max