Same texture space for different objects?

Hi folks!

I recently stumbled across a problem that I don’t know how to approach.:confused: Hopefully somebody of you can help.

My current model experiment is usual two legged battle robot (Looks a bit like a Bloodhoound or Madcat from Battletech).

It is modeled with its parts as seperate objects (torso, leg parts, feet, etc.)

Using procedural cloud textures I was able to achieve a pretty nice camo-paint effect.

Of course since every object has its own texture space, the camo-paint is
differently sized on every object and doesn’t “fit” well where the objects meet and intersect.

Is there a way to set all objects to one texture space that surrounds the whole mech as one piece? So far all I could find was to scale and move every texture space to match roughly.

Any idea if they can be linked somehow?

Thanks in advance!

See ya,

Anterion

Map Input “object”. You need to fill in the space with the name of the object that shall bear the coordinates.

D’oh! Should have know that myself :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot!!!

Hm… halfway there, but not completely yet :frowning:

Map Input “Object” does indeed put the texture coordinate center to the linked object, but the texture space’s scale isn’t linked.

When I make the texture spaces visible they are stll all very differnt so the
procedural clouds look different on small objects.

Wonder if there could be something done about this with python …

Do Ctrl-A on all the Objects to bring the scale to 1.00 on all.

%<

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/9607/texturespacesqh5.th.png
Done that already. All objects show a scale of 1 on each axis.
Above is screenshot on how it looks if the texture spaces are all made visible.
Is the only way to make them all use the same texture space to merge them to one big mesh? I would like to avoid that as much as possible.

I’m sure there is a solution. I’m just too dumb to find it :frowning:

Map Input “Object” does indeed put the texture coordinate center to the linked object, but the texture space’s scale isn’t linked.

When I make the texture spaces visible they are stll all very differnt so the
procedural clouds look different on small objects.

That’s very strange. If I make two cubes of different sizes, give them the same material, apply scale/rotation, and map their texture input to an Empty, they share the texture just as you are intending. Are the parts of the mech all sharing a single material? They should be, for this to work.

However, using the map to empty technique has its own problems–the texture will be static with respect to each object, so the camo will appear to slide across the parts when they move. You’re probably better off using UV mapping rather than procedurals to texture your mech. Btw, nice model.

Hm… will check that. But I’m pretty sure they do, though double checking won’t hurt. The problem is most noticable on the arms. The colored areas are
way smaller than on the torso.

I actually plan to do that. But I wanted to use the new (CVS) texture baking feature. That way I think I get a good camo paint rendered to the UV texture
that I can then manipulate with small details like dirt, scratches and so on.

Thanks :slight_smile: First time I actually brought a model this far. I usually stop after working on parts and then start a new project :slight_smile: