sample of Jeff Lew's character animation tute online

Do you mean when he lowered the character and he seems to squat automaticaly when the feet hit the ground?
The way to do it is to add an empty and IK constrain the foot (/feet) to it.
The nice thing is that if you add DOF on the knees to bend proper, the character will squat nicely if you lower him behind the empty, and it will fall on his behind if you lower him in front of the empty.

OK, now a question for you. I’m still parenting the mesh to the armature because when I draw the envelopes and go the mesh’s edit mode to add the armature in the modifier, nothing happens. The armature doesn’t affect the mesh. Have I skipped a step?

In the armature modifier there is a “envelopes” button. Did you press that?

Yes I did.
Just to be clear:

I:

1. Add a cylinder
  2. In object mode add an armature (envelope mode)
  3. In object mode select the cylinder
  4. Add armature to stack: type the name of the armature object, click apply. Stack dissapears.

The envelope button in the stack is pressed in by default right?

I’ve found it. You shouldn’t apply modifier.

IMO this is counterintuitive

Do you mean when he lowered the character and he seems to squat automaticaly when the feet hit the ground?
The way to do it is to add an empty and IK constrain the foot (/feet) to it.

The new “floor” constraint makes this easier. Just allocate a bone to be the floor bone and it prevents the other bones going below it (or above it if you set it that way).

Eidt: I see in the other thread that it is this constraint causing problems. :frowning: