Samuria Sword

Here is a picture of a Samuria sword. It is my second all by myself with no tutorial help picture I have made. So just keep that in mind when you view my image. C&C would be greatly appriciated :slight_smile:

Attachments

It’s a good start! A few things though. Firstly, the angle is horrible for showing off the work. The blade does not have a metalic look to it, though that could just be that there is nothing to reflect. There is no blade edge finishwork (the decorative hardening that is done that gives each blade it’s unique look). The handguard could be more extravagent but if you want to keep it simple you could simply add two ovals on each of the more open sides. The hilt: the diamond pattern is created from the thread that is wrapped around it in a certain way, perhaps create a nor map with UVmapping to give it an effect of layers of faberic. the very bottom usually has some sort of cap of metal to hold the thread tight, yours is just squared off.

Again, it’s a great start, keep going!!

I tried to add a blade like look but I couldn’t figure it out, how would I do that?

you’ll have to UVmap it, then in gimp or ps creat the look manually.

The problem you’re having with the blade isn’t the UV-map (though that would give you the nice hamon effect), but the use of specularity on it. Right now it looks Phong or Lambert --fairly dull and soft.

Nice shape on the blade. Good job!

Yes, you need to cap the pommel like Khnum said.

Also, there’s nothing wrong with the handguard (google “tsuba” if you want to see more). It is not the traditional roundish thing, but it is by no means abnormal. (Remember, it’s purpose has nothing to do with the other guy’s sword; it is only to prevent the samurai from reaching his finger over onto the blade and cutting himself.)

(Remember, it’s purpose has nothing to do with the other guy’s sword; it is only to prevent the samurai from reaching his finger over onto the blade and cutting himself.)

you say that now, but when it saves you hand from a strike your glad it’s there!!! =P :smiley:

Heh, yeah. But seriously, I doubt there’s any samurai anywhere in history who’s been saved from another blade by his tsuba. It just doesn’t work that way.

Some western sword fighting does, though, hence the elaboration and size of their guards.

Other minor thing: there has to be a blood channel on the side of the sword. I’ve found it really hard to put it in after you’ve created the blade, though.

You can help show off the blade by giving it a lighter material than the back of the sword. Colors you might shoot for are a dull lead for the back, and a chromed steel for the edge. While not exactly accurate, it gives a good contrast and looks movie-ish.

Decorative? The differential temper wave is part of what makes a katana a sword. Without it, the edge would be chipped and dull within a week’s use.

I know what it’s for! It also looks decorative, and there are many different styles you can get, so it IS decorative and VERY fucntional. But back to the blend at hand!!!

The handle, underneath the wrapping, was often just wood covered with snake skin.