Sand/terrain static fluid system (confusing question) ?

Ok. So I’m trying to come up with a cool text animation for this series my friends and family are working on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkW2rgf_kUc

If you don’t want to watch it, it’s about an upbeat guy who hunts fossils (not your ordinary fossil show!), named “The Fossil Hunter”.

Anyway’s to cut to the chase. I have a perfect idea for a cool text. I was thinking when it show’s the “FOSSIL” part of the name, the text will act like it was actually a fossil and emerge up from 3D sand on the ground (with a hill shape to it, not a boring flat look, cause I would know how to achieve the flat look… I think). I’ve been messing with the fluids and am wondering if there is a way I could make a terrain act like a fluid or vice versa? If i’m not explaining it well enough, please let me know. I feel like this can add a lot to the show (maybe a bit of an overstatement, but I think it would look awesome); it is something i’m definitely willing to put time into!
TIA

Anyone?

10char

Thanks! I should have done some more searching in the first place, but this works