Save UV map to image

I would like to know if it’s possible to save the UV map overlay directly onto an image to make it easier to create a texture from scratch in an external editor.

I’ve had a look around at various different menus and windows but there doesn’t seem to be an option to do so. I may have missed the option if it is there, but if there isn’t one, perhaps someone knows of a script that could render the UV map to an image file or some other solution. If all else fails I may just have to print screen, but hopefully there is something easier.

UV s / Export UV layout menu in the UV /Image Editor window

If you don’t see the menu entry enable the UV Layout addon in the User Prerferences / Addons panel.
You can save the layout as .png, .eps or .svg format

Thank you for providing such a fast answer.

It kind of makes sense now I look at it, but I had this feeling UV exporting would export to some file type designed to save UV data in XML format or something rather than an actual image.

Either way, problem solved!
Thanks!

I would like to know if it’s possible to save the UV map overlay directly onto an image to make it easier to create a texture from scratch in an external editor.
I thought you wanted to paint it in an external image editor. What would be the benefit in this case with an .xml file over an actual bitmap image or vector image that blender exports ?

I did want them as an image file, that’s why I said “problem solved”. I would have closed the thread too, but I can’t see a button to do that and I couldn’t find anything about it in the FAQ.

The benefit to having the UV co-ordinates themselves exported would be to use them within another program (i.e. a game engine). They probably do get exported with most model formats but exporting them on their own would be useful for developing textures to fit the co-ordinates. The co-ordinates themselves would be more useful than a 2D line-render in certain cases (though I understand that that’s probably not common practise, and probably just me thinking like a programmer rather than an artist).