saving animations problem

(Tullisti) #1

Hey all,

I’m trying to save an animation to hard disk, and all the answers in the blenderbase referr to websites which don’t exist anymore, as opposed to giveing you the correct answer. So, my question is: how can you save an animation to disk?

i tried going to the display buttons, ands setting the image type to both AVI raw and AVI jpeg, but whenever i go to file-> save image, i get the following error:

ERROR: select an image type in display buttons(F10)

can someone please explain this to me?

(bob_dog) #2
  1. F10 - go to the display buttons
  2. Press and hold the long thin button to the left of the “crop” button.
  3. Select AVI Raw or AVI Jpeg
  4. On the left side of the display buttons window select the name and directory for the output avi (beside where it says “pics”
  5. Still on the display buttons window, press the big “ANIM” button

I think your problem was not doing step 3 above.

(meestaplu) #3

Tullisti wrote:

tried going to the display buttons, ands setting the image type to both AVI raw and AVI jpeg, but whenever i go to file-> save image, i get the following error:

ERROR: select an image type in display buttons(F10)

Here’s why you are getting the error:
File -> save image saves only still images, so if you render a picture or one frame of an animation by pressing the “render” button, you save the image that way.

Saving animations happens automatically. When you hit the Anim button, Blender makes a movie of the frames it renders (if you select an AVI type), or it saves individual images with filenames 0001, 0002, 0003, etc. It saves them to the render directory you specify on the left side of the renderbuttons.

How’s that?
Matt

(cohort) #4

BTW, as I found out through error and trial, by default if you have nothing in the Pics button (completely empty), it will save out your animation in the same directory as the .blend you are working from.

(meestaplu) #5

Nice - I would never have thought of doing that. 8)

(Rob) #6

I think that this is where Blender could be made to be more helpful. That is if you hit animate it appears to do just that, except it does not save anything unless you tell it where to put the output, a default of the current dir would be very useful. That is //render/ needs to be changed to something real.

Rob.

(cohort) #7

Delete the “//render/” first thing and hit Ctrl+U to save defaults.