saving my work

how do i save an animation that i made?

into a movie file such as mpeg or avi?

made a simple rolercoaster and cant find how to save the animation lolz

Go to Scene Panels (F10) and there to the Render Buttons.
In the Output-tab (should be the leftmost tab) enter the destination file’s path and name (incl. extension - say .avi) into the topmost text input field. you can also select the path by clicking the little Dir-Button left of this field.
Then go to the Format-tab and change the image format (in the dropdown-field on the bottom half) from jpeg (default) to AVI Raw.
(I think, in most cases, the raw format works best and in fact without compression losses).
now you have only to change image size and aspect ratio (simply use the preferences buttons on the right).

After all: Go to Anim-tab, set frame range (Sta: & End:) and press ANIM.

Now Blender will do its work for some time (go and have a cup of coffee or get a hot meal - depending on anim-length, render quality and your computer’s power).

After Blender finished working, you’ll find your anim file in the previous defined place…

In the Rendering panels (F10), select a format from the dropdown (which probably currently says Jpeg). For now use one of the AVI formats.

Under the Output tab, click the little folder icon next to mp/. Type in a filename; make sure to include the .avi extension. When you render the animation it will be saved to this file.

Look at more details in the Blender wiki:

http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/PartXI/Animations

Please use the Search function next time before posting.

https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50550

-Laurifer

ok i got it to save but its taking forever for it to render every single frame to save the file

how can i just save the render without actualy RENDERING it or animating it

You can save the scene file with F2. Remember to add the suffix .blend. Otherwise read your own sentence and ask yourself how it would be possible to save a non-rendered render ?

ok i got it to save but its taking forever for it to render every single frame to save the file

how can i just save the render without actualy RENDERING it or animating it

PEBKAC %|

Rendering takes a long time. This is a fact of life. You can’t get around it, unless you want to compromise quality.

but isnt that kinda dumb waiting for every single frame in ana nimation to render before it could actualy be saved into an avi… a long animation would take hours to render into a movie

but isnt that kinda dumb waiting for every single frame in ana nimation to render before it could actualy be saved into an avi.

Why would you want to save an AVI if you haven’t rendered the frames for it? What good is a blank AVI file?

a long animation would take hours to render into a movie

Welcome to the world of 3d animation, grasshopper.

ok im lost here, lets start this over

i made an animation ( a simple roller coaster) and i want to make it into an avi movie, how do i go about doing this?
and how long will this take

sorry for being so nooby but im really lost here

I dont even know enough about blender to make an animation, but I know what theyre saying. What you were doing is right, and rendering the movie frame by frame is normal. It will take a long time, but that is part of animation.

To save YOUR work Ctrl-S or File >> Save. To save BLENDER’S work hit Anim and go to bed.

%<

i made an animation ( a simple roller coaster) and i want to make it into an avi movie, how do i go about doing this?
and how long will this take

Another option : you can save an OpenGL (3D view) animation. Set up an .avi file in the Render window as described above. Then in the Object context, Ctrl-click the button just to the right of the ‘Padlock’ button in the header. The tool tip says “Render this window (hold CTRL for anim).”

Don’t expect to submit the results to any animation festivals however.

that’s rendering… what do you think how long movies like shrek or other 3d feature films took to render? a hot meals isn’t enough here. :wink:
at pixar studios there are lots of computers doing nothing else but rendering for days to get one scene raytraced.