Saving New Project Destroys Old Project

Hello,

Whenever I start a new project, work on it for half an hour or so, I hit “ctrl + s + Enter” instinctively. And every time I end up DESTROYING my last project file. Because Blender decides it’s a good idea to SAVE OVER the most recent file. Because I forgot that that it is a new project and needs a Save As. Blender: “Remember all those hours you put into your last project? Well that’s all GONE now. Because you did a regular Save instead of a Save As. Sorry.” What the hell, Blender? Force me to save it as a NEW file, or at least use a different keyboard shortcut for an unsaved, new project!

Does anyone else have this problem? There’s nothing about it in the Preferences. And I can’t imagine ANY circumstance in which this behavior would be remotely reasonable/helpful.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I understand your frustration completely. I have similar problems. When I select my files and hit shift+delete followed by enter, they are gone as well. Can you believe that? That’s ridiculous! This aint right. All my hard work… Everything… Every time I do this as well. I want to sue somebody about this. And all this other stuff in life as well… When I go to a bar for example. Next day I wake up with my money gone and my head hurts. This isn’t right either. Why can’t I just do stupid things without any consequences?! I am very dissatisfied about this all the time.

ive been saying blender needs more error messages. but maybe you just need to adapt your habits.

i think its possible to remap said shortkey to “save as”, or just ditch it all together.

you can always get back the last saved version of the previous scene by opening the ‘.blend1’ file that blender automatically saved for you, you simply have to change its extension to ‘.blend’.

paolo

Haha… Unless it rewrites the .blend1 file too! You have to catch it before it has a chance to do so.

It rewrites it only if you save again (second time for the new file), and even in this case you can find the previous scene into the .blend2 file.
it should be enough…

paolo

well, you can modify your preferences to save up to 32 previous versions…
I personally love the no asking policy, and have the save versions disabled

Errare humanum est, perseverare autem diabolicum…

MartinZ:

I just glanced over this the first time and assumed it was a friendly, honest response. I haven’t been on BA for a while, but I remember it being a place where people are helpful and encouraging. Not careless, sarcastic, and just plain rude.

Now that I read your entire response, I see that my old impression may not be true anymore.

People who use Blender a lot get into the habit of doing a very quick “ctrl + s + enter” every once in a while to save their work. When someone creates a new project, they usually run Blender via desktop shortcut, start working, and then do another routine “ctrl + s + enter” as always. And now they just overwrote their last project. Because they forgot that they haven’t saved the new project as its own file yet. There is nothing “stupid” about this. It is a very easy mistake to make (that isn’t a mistake in ANY other program - ANY other program FORCES you to do a save as, and gives you an “Are you sure you want to overwrite this file?” dialogue if you don’t give it a unique name).

There is no reason for any keyboard shortcut to be able to overwrite a file without forcing the user to acknowledge that something is being overwritten.

This is NOT the same as “selecting files, and hitting shift+delete+enter”. In that case you are TELLING THE COMPUTER TO DELETE SOMETHING. AND IT IS STILL IN THE RECYCLE BIN. In this case however, I am simply doing a routine operation that I do almost a hundred times a day. I am telling the computer to SAVE MY WORK. NOT TO PERMANENTLY OVERWRITE an old project. If it wants to overwrite something, there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON for it to do so without forcing me to acknowledge that something is being overwritten. This concept is extremely universal in all software across the board.

Aside from the fact that the habit of saving every few minutes is not universal (I, for instance, do save very seldom, and I rely instead on autosave every 2 minutes), each one should be aware of the cons of his habits and make a habit of entering the necessary countermeasures into your habits.

Back to the point, I’m not sure to understand what caused you to loose your work; if I save a scene and open a new scene it will be named ‘untitled’ by default, hence it will not overwrite the previous one.
Maybe I misunderstood.

paolo

Well… It is indeed honest. I am not trying to be hostile here, but come on… You should be aware of what you are doing. I am serious about that and will stand by these words. There are safeguards here as well. Blender has wonderful auto save functionality so you do not have to keep pressing ctrl+s every 2 minutes(it does actually automatically save your work every 2 minutes by default! How good is that?) and there are also multiple save versions. You can increase the amount of saved versions if you go to the User Preferences(ctrl+alt+u) File tab. There is a value called Save Versions. If you are serious about your work you should also have separate folders for your projects and organize stuff. 3d is not something you will be successful at without being at least that organized. You have to have at least a basic system with some order in it. Does it really matter if Blender gives you 5 messages? If you make it a habit, can it not as easily be a habit of pressing ctrl+s and enter 5 times? It’s not like I started yesterday - I do actually understand your frustration, I do stupid stuff and regret it, really, that was true. It’s just that I think it’s not the software that requires fixing here, but me myself.

And I would not allow myself to be that rude if it was just one thing you had to ignore. You have to work hard and ignore what you are doing when you start a new project in the same file, then you have to press stuff without thinking and you even have to overcome Blender’s safeguards precisely for this situation saving multiple versions of the file. There is really a lot of ignorance required in this situation the way I see it.

I work in separate folders and have a perfectly well organized folder network for all my assets and project files. When you open a new instance of Blender, do some work, then do ctrl + s + enter, it goes to the last folder you worked in and saves it as “untitled.blend”, regardless of whether there is already an “untitled.blend” file already there. By the time the file browser screen pops up, it’s too late.

Now yes, if I was organized enough to actually NAME the blender files, I wouldn’t have this problem. But that’s a high price to pay for simply knowing that I’m not going to accidentally overwrite something without meaning to.

And yes, you have the .blend1,2,3,4etc. thing, but if you spent half an hour on a project and only saved it once, there’s only going to be 1 .blend file.

The reason I made this thread is because there is no safeguard against overwriting an old file. Look at Microsoft Office, Adobe CC software, Notepad, Windows Explorer, really ANYTHING that can create its own extension of a file. They ALL have something like a “Confirm Save As” safeguard to force you to acknowledge that you are overwriting something. This is something I learned in programming class. It’s standard procedure. Everywhere. Every program does it.

Except Blender.

Well different habit, i allways use the " save as " first for create a new file name, in fact it is the first thing i do when open Blender for a new project, even before starting any work…

and then as i work, i create copy (save as ) for keep backup before i move the project up.

Now… the safeguard exist… it is just not a popup one… if i just hit save, and the name of the file allready exist, Blender will open the save file explorer and will show the file allready exist . the name of the file is shown in red . Meaning a file with this name allready exist.

"By the time the file browser screen pops up, it’s too late. "

Because most people do “ctrl + s + enter” in rapid succession. You’ve already hit the enter key to confirm before you see the little tiny “safeguard”.

I think naming would certainly help. It seems to me that it’s a high price to pay when you are just playing around, but if you are actually working with it I would think the price of not naming your files is too high. I find it hard to imagine anyone working in real life production environment and not naming their files. Is there anybody doing that here? I mean, I don’t know, maybe. Please, jump in and introduce yourselves, it would be interesting to hear your perspectives and how that is working for your projects. :smiley:

Normally when I start a project first thing I do is create a folder to work in. Then gather my references and put those in that folder. Start Blender, then I will “save as” and select the folder that I am working in. So at that point weather or not I ctrl+s or recover a save I know where that file is. Also I do a shift+ctrl+s whenever I feel like I may crash blender working on something and I can save the project simply by just hitting the + key and enter. Now it is a whole new blend file. I will say the auto save is awesome, has saved my butt plenty of times especially when working with rigid bodies, physics, and especially volumetrics.

Just need to fix your habits.

I’ve been saving my stuff in order by date starting a few months ago, haven’t overwritten anything yet and they are easy to find.

Good habit Grimza…

Personally, i do it this way .

> Different folder for each project > then sub folders for different part of the project ( Reference, Textures ( i use substance ), HDRi etc ), Project files ( and in general, i do backup/save copy with date of the project following the advancement )…

You know, it is even psychologically good to name your new project… it is a little bit like put in stone what you will achieve . You start a new thing, so name it … Give it a name, a date, … i dont know if you see what i mean …

I dont know, for me it is a common sense to work like that, but i can be wrong.

LOL, YOU DONT NAME THINGS!? you kinda deserve to get bullied by the computer.

if you dont work for the computer, the computer wont work for you. you need to find the balance.

every time i start a new file, i ALWAYS close blender to clear up resources and get my starter. then i click save as and find the most meaningful name. if test files get big enough to save, or require more testing later, i save a test.blend, then delete or rename ASAP.

i save often as check points, since “close without save” is a big part of my workflow. i should have you know, never in my years of blending, have i lost data due to corrupt files. crashing happens rarely and predicable. the only grip i have is the close console uber kill and opening a new file over unsaved files with no warning. but since i know they are there now, i have adapted to optimize my workflow. i actually USE the console close to bypass the warnings to speed up retries or addon testing.

theres always time to think!

I got to admit closing the console has got me a few times. :smiley: But then auto saves usually save the day. Closing Blender to clear up the resources is a good point as well.

I would have a lot of files and folders for a single project long before even creating a blend file myself. It seems completely impossible to me to accidentally save over a file with a different project. I would always have one properly named ‘master’ file of a project that is the most current and would make an effort to keep it this way unless a project branches out into too distinct parts where it makes sense to have a few main files for different things and then I would have ‘backups’ folder with versions of the main files where something is changed drastically that I might need to go back to and recover and they have added dates in the file names so they appear in chronological order in the folder, however I now always add a description of what is changed in the file name as well and make a huge conscious effort to make it as descriptive as possible so even another person looking at it would understand what is going on. I don’t have to think what is the newest main file - it’s always the one in the project’s root directory, it’s properly named, so if I copy it to a temporary folder to another PC to help with rendering and it mixes with other projects rendering there it is still always recognizable easily. And if I look at the backups, I never have to go through many files opening each one of them, I always just know which one I need to open straight away. I am very happy with having a system and constantly think about what could be improved and how I can put those improvements to my workflow so they become habits. Consciously changing a habit like pressing a shortcut at one point or another during work is something I have done a lot and will continue doing. That has improved my life a lot as far even though it sometimes requires some effort. That’s why I frown upon someone complaining about it so much. ‘Grow up and do it properly! It’s for your own good!’ - I wish to shout at them. But then I remember there can be different circumstances and different kinds of workflows and different kinds of people with different goals, so I just try to make a joke about a bar and my money being gone and head hurting the next day and how it isn’t right as well instead. Which it really isn’t form my perspective at that point and I hate that ignorant bastard who put me into this position with all my heart. That damned me-yesterday!..