Saw "9" yesterday

I enjoyed the movie quite well. The animation and environments I found to be very effective, the machine creatures menacing, the little clothpunk (as my son dubbed them) people effectively done. The plot wasn’t all that original, but that wasn’t a problem for me.

The ending ruined it for me. I don’t want to give it away, but I found the ending incredibly trite and hackneyed. Grrr!

The ending ruined it for me. I don’t want to give it away, but I found the ending incredibly trite and hackneyed. Grrr!

yeah, kindof expected that after hearing “Welcome Home” in the trailer. I can’t stand that song.

peace,
-nick

I think it’s one of those movies that I’m going to enjoy more the second time I watch it.

The whole thing could have been a bit longer if only to spend some more time on character development, which I felt was a bit rushed. My favorite part was 7’s Legolas-mumakil-slaying moment when she finished off the beast! :slight_smile:

Yeah watching the movie, I loved the action and the graphics, but a part of me says “There could have been so much more!”

Yeah, I liked it too, even though it wasn’t exactly the most in-depth sort of flick. It was a basic story that was competently told, had some neat characters, sme really awesome mood, some really nice action sequences that didn’t overstay their welcome or try to be too flashy or anything. Very nice, overall.

Some critics I think are being overly harsh on it. They are basically trashing it because it uses a lot of common themes in sci-fi. But the story is sort of the quintessential sci-fi story. Apocalyptic, dark work with quirky characters and a mix of fantasy elements and technology stuff. For what it is, I thought it was a pretty good addition to the genre, even if there are already a lot of flicks that tread the same ground.

But what I really love about this film is that it was released through Focus Features. An indy studio. I really hope they do well with this and that it gets them to produce and release more of this more serious, more adult animated stuff over here. There’s a TON of this stuff coming out all over the world, and we’re just now starting to get some little bits of it in the states. It gives me hope that flicks like Metropia (click it!!) might get picked up and maybe even theatrically released over here, even if it’s just in a limited release. There’s so much stuff out there.

I thought it was really good, but more time should have been devoted to the storyline and character development, and it should have just been a longer movie. It felt really short, and it just didn’t let us grasp the scope of the whole situation. The world was destroyed, but we only saw a really small part of it.