Saying THANKS for Blender !

Hello guys!

here i wanna THANK ALL the Blender developers, user, ANYone who has EVER contributed and gave me this WONDEFUL piece of software!

I am coming from Maya. I knew it 1998 already. Softimage 3D before that.

I have to “shamefully” say that after ONLY after 6 Months of Blender tuts and practicing, i can now work FASTER than with Maya after so many years !

What i find MOST extraordinary, is that it is SO highly potent:
GPU rendering, Smoke, WaterSim, Physics, Painting (zBrush beware!), COMPOSITING (even Nuke will have to fear this in some time!), 3D/Plane TRACKING, etc.

Reason #1: ITS BETTER!

1. For Maya i would have to use Octane Render as a plugin renderer (not as the core renderer!) for GPU Render!
  2. No simulation plugins necessary (VERY COSTLY!)!
  3. FASTER, WAAAAAY FASTER modeling! And yes the right mouse button (after mastering it) IS A REVELATION!
  4. Loads INSANE amounts of Textures, even at 8k in MANY Multilayers in Cycles.
  5. Sclupting! No extra program like z-Brush needed, ALTHOUGH it is simpler, it HAS all i need.
  6. INCREDIBLE fast/eficient CUDA rendering: Currently i have a 500 km2 (!) scene that fits in 680mb GPU ram (i have 4 GB, lol) (much instancing), with FULL HDRI caustics, in 10min nearly noise free (256 samples!)!
  7. Compositing! For example, the most advanced Keyer in the world (Autodesk MKeyer in Flame) can be very EASY set up with compositing nodes in Blender (if you know how :wink: cause it is so open and the nodes are SMART! )!
  8. You can expand it like crazy trough Python > READY for a production pipeline !

Yes, its free also, but the points above, make me to never touch any other package no matter how much it costs. :smiley:

I also use the Adobe CC, but that is obvious. :stuck_out_tongue:

MANY, MANY thanks guys, you are great! You have my DEEPEST respect for your work ! :slight_smile:

Also, when (not if) i get into the financial domain, my donation is assured :slight_smile: And i am not talking about 10$, LOL. :smiley:
Happy weekend!

I wanted to thank for the tool in which I can render everything that I can imagine accurately enough.

@@enilnacs
Do you like blender interface? There is some guy around who claim that blender UI is broken.
btw: place to say thanks http://www.blender.org/blenderorg/blender-foundation/donation-payment/

Guess you forgot to read the top sticky thread huh?

I think the point is to get some positive stuff into all these crazed UI-debates that is going on.

Which is great.

Best regards
//Morgan

Let’s try not to bring up the UI on every thread here, ok? I can easily see this thread turning into just another place to argue about it. There’s plenty of threads elsewhere to discuss this.

You can not think that way, you are a fanboy! Blender is broken. Do you not understand that?

Without sarcasms, I join your gratitude for developers, and also to the entire community, even those who think that Blender is broken. This is the OpenSource, many passionate opinions and different points of view.

PS: I do not know any other 3D software, I can not say if it’s the best or better than other. But I tend to disagree with the mentality: “If this is not the best, then it is not good”
I know Blender is a very good software, and that’s what matters to me.

Great, now a call for everyone to say Grace… This recent UI trolling must’ve had quite an impact.

Maybe because when people google Blender they can get the wrong impression.

Enilnacs, I came from the same area, learned Maya many years ago but then through NURBS got more into the object design area and today work in the field if product jewelry and CG design/rendering.

Blender for me offers a fantastic BMESH modeling tool set.
The CUDA render engine is sufficient and fast accelerating my design process.
The 3D painting and UV tools are great for doing product design mock-ups.

The interactive modeling tools like mirror boolean solidify etc are a great way to explore design ideas before going too much into CAD. The digital clay tools are not as advanced as zBrush but again offer most of what I really need.

I cannot really speak a lot about the animation part as I dont use it to the depth as an animator.
Just for my last project for my client doing all product shots for their print catalogs just showed how well they were impressed with the speed ease of asset management and render quality the product can provide.

For me it is a very productive environment. To bad that the field I work in is not so much active and flexible as the pure CG field. I have a interdisciplinary background and thus don’t fear about testing a different software or workflow approach.

Maya or Blender or Rhino or Alias this are all just tools not software packages to me.

Better layers and faster view port rendering and much much faster boolean operations are actually the only things I would love to see to be improved on.

@ Enilnacs: You seem to have gained considerable proficiency with Blender. I share you feelings about expressing gratitude. In the current climate of flaming and counter flaming it’s not a good idea to offer direct comparisons to other software.

A much better way might be to take your acquired expertise and post some nicely made how-to tutorials in the tutorial thread. There is a lack of documentation and tutorial materials get outdated quickly. Often popular tutorials are just wrong or don’t have a good understanding of Blender. We need documentation more than testimonials, and it sounds like you have the skills to put together good videos.

It would have the same or better effect and be of use to new users and those having frustrations switching to Blender from another app, or just people trying to do what someone else has told them just can’t be done in Blender. And best of all, tutorial threads have hardly any flaming and trolling!

It’s one way to contribute that does not cost money as does Blender lots of good in terms of making it accessible. Consider submitting to the Wiki as well, no flaming there either.

Blender is getting better and better. That is all thanks to funding that goes into hiring more developers.
So I say thank you for becoming a funder.

We still need to catch up with Autodesk on implementing the recently open sourced industry technologies out there.

This post is so overdone and full of mistakes and easy to disprove facts, it can just be a troll post :slight_smile:

Blender might getting better. But other software also evolves. With a much higher pressure behind. Because there is money involved. Which is evolution pressure, and not fanboyism.

Blender will never catch up with Autodesk. And the sooner this gets realized, the sooner Blender focuses at his real userbase instead of an unreachable dream, the better Blender becomes. Currently Blender is giving away a big chance with the UI debate again.

s. Currently Blender is giving away a big chance with the UI debate again.

Spirit of the Broken Software Guru is everywere!
We need an exorcism rather than debate.

Or a big bag where we put all fanboys in, so that we can start a constructive debate instead of flaming all the time without even knowing the arguments …

The current debate is insane, no matter at which side of the fence you are.

The current debate is insane, no matter at which side of the fence you are.

Yes! An exorcist would do the job!

I RENOUNCE YOU DEVIL OF UI DISCUSSIONS. WITH THE POWER GIVEN TO ME BY MY LORD THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER. I HEREBY BAN YOU FROM THIS FORUM! (sprinkles meatballs and cheese over the forums)

Well, at least I tried.

It works, i feel much better now :smiley:

Yeah, well, that’s like, your opinion, man… saying thanks is trolling ? LOL, now lets think who could be the troll here. :slight_smile:

Blender might getting better. But other software also evolves. With a much higher pressure behind. Because there is money involved. Which is evolution pressure, and not fanboyism.

I am in this domain now since 1997, and i worked with many packages, turnkey systems, etc. I NEVER saw good software being made out of money pressure, but ONLY out of creativity or necessity. No money in the whole world invented Primatte or Reyes or Linux or Maya, etc… But talent, ingeniousity and fun. The same with Blender. Money is just one consequence. Please don’t forget that. You miss the point entirely.

Blender will never catch up with Autodesk.

Says who ? Cause its free ? Or open source ? Ahm… no. This is not an argument. At all.
I had the privilege to work in my life with some of the most expensive tools and turnkey systems that exceed 200k, and believe me, not everything that shines is gold. Even worse, some are really terrible!

So long…
Have a nice day.

Someone called it hyperbole when I said

It`s a difference if you defend something because of good reasons and with good arguments. Or with ignoring all facts and arguments, with stating wrong things, and with just the goal to defend the fan product. And this with all possible and impossible weapons like bashing and discrediting the opponent, telling him to shut up, etc.

There’s so many people here who have obviously no professional background and no experience with any other package, yet they have big expectations,

Indeed, and most of them are unfortunately Blender fanboys without real experience or a existing portfolio. They have never seen anything else, are sometimes not able to create a textured cube, and declare nevertheless Blender to the uber tool.

Yeah, well, that’s like, your opinion, man… saying thanks is trolling ? LOL, now lets think who could be the troll here. :slight_smile:

It`s a bit more than just my opinion :slight_smile:

Saying thanks is not trolling. Stating nonsense to defend the fan product is. I could live with when you would say that it works better for you in some areas. This depends on the needs. And when they are low enough, then yeah, why not. Blender can definitely do the job. it`s also part of my pipeline. I even agree that Cycles is a fine renderer. But you totally exaggerate with your descriptions. And you use examples and assumptions that are simply wrong.

Says who ? Cause its free ? Or open source ? Ahm… no. This is not an argument. At all.

I rely at facts instead of “somebody said”. Have a look at the last ten years. Blender tries to catch up since it exists. It didn´t catch up. Autodesk is still number one in the industry. And the Industry still gives a Fu** about Blender. Simply because it cannot deliver what is needed. It has not the same evolution pressure that would lead Blender into the right direction. Nor has it the manpower. So it`s pretty save to say that Blender will never catch up.

What we have is mostly core functionality with a bit eye candy compared to the industry tools out there. A sculpting that sucks at all ends and is unperformant like hell. A outdated bones system that cannot really compete anymore. A cumbersome and limited to use texture painting. Slow and cumbersome modeling. And so on. There is not a single area where Blender could really shine or compete with a really professional tool. And in the area where eye candy is really needed to speed up the workflow, in the UI area, there it lacks of exactly that.

You can get your things done, when you are willing to work around the shortcomings of Blender, and when you have the time for the slow workflow. That`s the good news. And Cycles has really catched up alot. Means the quality becomes useful for even professional needs. But even here: the evolution continues. Other renderes also becomes better and better. And to declare Blender to the uber tool is pure fanboyism.

Oh, and being Open Source is in fact one of the points that hinders Blender to catch up. GPL is a big barrer for plugin developers. That`s why there are rarely professional plugins available for Blender. And no industry plugins means no Blender in the industry.

Reason #1: ITS BETTER!

That´s no reason, that`s an opinion.

1. For Maya i would have to use Octane Render as a plugin renderer (not as the core renderer!) for GPU Render!

There are other renderers out there. But you would have to pay for them. So i guess the real reason is money here.

1. No simulation plugins necessary (VERY COSTLY!)!

Again the real reason is money and not quality. The quality of the Blender simulation is nothing really professional though. It cannot compete with industry solutions. And the industry solutions are not available for Blender. Quality is crucial in the industry.

1. FASTER, WAAAAAY FASTER modeling!

I have the exact opposite experience. I have used lots of modelers in the last years. And Blender is still the most cumbersome and slowest solution. I still model most things outside because of exactly that. I hate this question and answer game with deleting the selected element. I hate to be slowed down by the cumbersome search for the right tools and settings, the researches for the hotkeys. I hate the uberslow performance that starts to stutter with a 200 k mesh while the same mesh runs fine with 2 Megas in my favourite modeler. I hate the lack of useful knife, Bevel, Looptools. It lacks of core functionality like numeric scale a selection to world units. And so on. I simply hate the long workarounds where you need one click in another software. I am two times faster and my workflow is ways easier when i model outside of Blender.

And yes the right mouse button (after mastering it) IS A REVELATION!

Why?

And before you answer, you can use EVERY argument that you use for RMB also for LMB. In fact you can use Blender also with LMB select, which can be set in the User Preferences. And you loose exactly nothing. Works for me since years.

1. Loads INSANE amounts of Textures, even at 8k in MANY Multilayers in Cycles.

Ah yes, and no other renderer is able to? I see. NOT. Other renderers can do the same.

1. Sclupting! No extra program like z-Brush needed, ALTHOUGH it is simpler, it HAS all i need.

It has NOT. It lacks of lots of functionality that saves you a ton of time in ZBrush. And here we are back at the performance issue too. Even when it would have all tools, what`s it worth when it stops to respond in the moment where you start sculpting?

1. INCREDIBLE fast/eficient CUDA rendering: Currently i have a 500 km2 (!) scene that fits in 680mb GPU ram (i have 4 GB, lol) (much instancing), with FULL HDRI caustics, in 10min nearly noise free (256 samples!)!

Do yourself a favour and try Vray. And THEN let`s talk about speed and performance. And Quality. But yeah, it costs quite a bit money :slight_smile:

1. Compositing! For example, the most advanced Keyer in the world (Autodesk MKeyer in Flame) can be very EASY set up with compositing nodes in Blender (if you know how :wink: cause it is so open and the nodes are SMART! )!

I cannot really say anything about that. I´ve never needed it. But i guess you exaggerate also here.

1. You can expand it like crazy trough Python > READY for a production pipeline !

You COULD. When the api wouldn`t be this bloated and bad documented. When there would be useful tutorials. And when the Api would really give access to everything you need. Which it does not.

And once more, scripting is not a Blender only thing.

Sorry, but i stay with my opinion. For me this list looks like trolling. Especially with the perfect timing to chime in when there is a heated UI debate :slight_smile:

Have a look at the last ten years. Blender tries to catch up since it exists. It didn´t catch up.

You’re saying that as if Blender was person. Who even says Blender is trying to catch up? Is that a realistic goal, trying to catch up with commercial software with millions of development dollars and an established professional userbase? Blender has its niche, just like some of the other “smaller” packages like Modo and Lightwave. They’re not playing “catch-up” either.

What we have is mostly core functionality with a bit eye candy compared to the industry tools out there. A sculpting that sucks at all ends and is unperformant like hell. A outdated bones system that cannot really compete anymore. A cumbersome and limited to use texture painting. […] There is not a single area where Blender could really shine or compete with a really professional tool.

You seem to compare features in Blender with the top-of-the-line product in the industry. You’re not comparing sculpting or texture painting to Modo or Maya, are you? What experience do you really have in other packages?

Oh, and being Open Source is in fact one of the points that hinders Blender to catch up. GPL is a big barrer for plugin developers. That`s why there are rarely professional plugins available for Blender. And no industry plugins means no Blender in the industry.

Open Source and GPL are not synonymous. I’m not in favor of the GPL either, but there’s nothing to do about it now. Just deal with it. Also: For crying out loud, learn how to use an apostrophe.

The quality of the Blender simulation is nothing really professional though. It cannot compete with industry solutions. And the industry solutions are not available for Blender. Quality is crucial in the industry.

Yes, the industry, of which you’re not part of. It’s not that uncommon for users of other packages to use Blender specifically for its simulation features, which simply don’t exist in other packages. What experience do you have with other simulation software? The guy who implemented fluids for Blender ended up in an Academy-Award winning team, by the way. I’m sure he is heartbroken that you didn’t like his student work.

I have the exact opposite experience. I have used lots of modelers in the last years. And Blender is still the most cumbersome and slowest solution. I still model most things outside because of exactly that.

So, what do you use instead?

Do yourself a favour and try Vray. And THEN let`s talk about speed and performance. And Quality. But yeah, it costs quite a bit money

Do yourself a favor and stop comparing Apples and Oranges. If you want to compare Cycles, compare it to Arnold. When somebody has added a lot of complicated approximate features with hard-to-deal-with artifacts (especially in animations) to Cycles, then you can compare it to Vray.

Sorry, but i stay with my opinion. For me this list looks like trolling.

Your opinion is bred through sheer ignorance.