scale local axis

I can’t seem to get the scale local axis to work. I tried it with all the different cursors, and in object and edit mode without success.

Select the object, and press <s> it scales on all axis, okay, good, then I press <x> and it goes to global x, right, sure, then I press <x> again and it stays on global, ??, then <x> one more time and I am back to all axis. Where did local go?

When fitting a tube into some complicated shape, it would be nice to be able to scale the tube on the local axis after it is in the general location and rotation.

I’m using 2.40a, with no CSV.

I guess the local and global axises just happen to be co-aligned. Try it, open Blender default scene and scale local. It’s the same as global. Now, rotate the cube around z in object mode and then scale local. Now its different than global.

You can find local axis in the menu. It’s near hand, triangle, circle, box icons and on it reads ‘Global’. Just select ‘Global’ and choose ‘Local’ then it works as it did in 2.37.

Hotkey: Alt+Space

He means, that in 2.37a if you pressed scale (S), and the axis button (X,Y, or Z) 2 times, it gived you transformacion along local coordinates. In 2.40alpha2 when you press the button 2 times, it gives you same result as if you pressed it one time (scaling along global coordinates).

I thing this is a bug, or developers are changing some code and its not finished?

He means, that in 2.37a if you pressed scale (S), and the axis button (X,Y, or Z) 2 times, it gived you transformacion along local coordinates. In 2.40alpha2 when you press the button 2 times, it gives you same result as if you pressed it one time (scaling along global coordinates).

It works exactly that way in 2.40a2 if you choose local from the menu. Actually the way it is now, it gives more options for user. You can scale/grab/etc. via more modes than before. It takes a while to get used to but I think it’s a good feature that gives more freedom to user though I think that there should be an option to use the old way if the user prefers to.

Excellent. Thanks!

So local is no longer just local to the object, but can be global, local, normal, or by view? Wicked cool man.