Scaling a hole in a curved surface

I’m practicing some basic modelling and have now managed to create a circular hole in a curved mesh (using Loop Tools -> Circle). Let’s say I need to change the size of the circle, is it possible to scale it while keeping it follow the curvature of the mesh? Like make all vertices do an edge slide outwards at the same time…

Your best bet would probably be to duplicate your mesh, then scale up your hole, snapping to the old surface.

Thanks, sounds like a good idea.

1 Like

You can select those faces and inset. Then delete inner vertices and edge slide outer vertices, remove doubles:

inset

2 Likes

can u explain little more, duplicating in obj/edit mode, snapping option ?

Ooh yeah, that works well. You could streamline it a little by filling the hole with an ngon, then doing an outset (press I, then O). Then you can select the ngon you added and delete its verts.

Duplicate in object mode, then enter edit mode. Set the snapping mode to face, then from a top down view scale up the circle and snap to the original mesh.

Thanks, i got it. for newbies, duplicate in object mode, then enter edit mode. Set the snapping mode to face and set target to ‘active’ and finally enable snapping mode then from a top down view scale up the circle as require.