Scaling in Object Mode vs Edit Mode

So, just to preface: I’m not really new to Blender but I’m not very experienced either.

I was just messing around testing different tools and functions....

So basically I was going to create a 2x4 type shape, just a plank of wood....
I started with the default cube and, in object mode, scaled it along each axis accordingly to create the shape I wanted.

Then I marked some seams and went to unwrap it and it basically gave me even square shapes for every side. 

I was like :eek:

Then I tried "Average islands scale" and it didn't help. 

So after a moment of thought, I decided "okay, it's probably kinda unorthodox to model something from Object Mode". I started a new scene, went into EDIT mode and did the same procedure, marked seams, unwrapped and... well, it worked a lot better. Still not perfect (I'll get to that in a minute).

So, I think I get that I should shape out the object by scaling in Object mode or it will be kinda messed up.... But I'm not sure how exactly this works or why. 

<b>So my first question is how does the scaling work in Object vs Edit mode? Why does it eff up your UVs?</b>

Another thing, like I said, it still wasn’t perfect. For the UV’s, basically, two sides that were different widths on the mesh were the same width in the UV’s. So, the resolution would be different between the sides and the top.
I thought, “I could move it manually… by why doesn’t it just make the UV sizes relative to the mesh?”

Then I noticed the Unwrap settings in the Tools window; there’s an option called Method that defaults to Angle Based. I changed it to Conformal and it fixed my problem, it gave me the exact results I would have originally expected.

So, question #2 would be, what is Angle Based unwrapping good for? Things that aren’t so… err, angular? Seems counter-intuitive.

Generally using Angle based for organic models and Conformal for non-organic models gives the best unwraps.

If you scale in object mode you affect the objects scale, if you scale in edit mode you don’t since you are not changing the object you are scaling the mesh. A different scale value for each axis can cause uneven UV unwraps. If you scale in object mode you can reset the scale at anytime with Ctrl+A

Okay, yeah, that’s what I was kinda thinking. Thanks.

Here’s another, unrelated, question:

I’m mostly going to be modeling stuff to import into UDK. So, as far as measurements go, in UDK 16 units is roughly 1 foot, as I understand it.

I’d like to set it up so that in Blender, as I’m working I see things as 12 units = 16 units. So that it’s easier for me to measure things in Blender, but when I export them to UDK they’ll be right.

I don’t know if that makes any proper sense :stuck_out_tongue:
Can I do something like, scale the model by a certain percent, then apply the scale… And then…Something???

Try setting the grid increments to 16

Attachments

Hmm, yeah, not really what I’m going for :stuck_out_tongue:

So, let’s say I’m making a model for UDK and I want it to be a cube that’s 1 foot long in every dimension. In UDK this would be 16 units, and so in Blender it has to be 16 units.

But when I’m modeling in Blender, I want to think in terms I’m more used to: ie, 1 foot equals 12 units (inches).

So what I could do is make my model 12 units across every direction, then once I’m done modeling, go into the object scale and put 1.333333 for x,y, and z. (16/12 = 1.333333)

This would make my object 16 units.

What I’d like, is for this to be done kinda automatically or behind the scenes… I dunno… Just a thought.

May it works to set 1.333 in the units > scale settings, if i understand correctly.

Cheers, mib.