Scandinavian Kitchen

HI all, here to share my latest project. I used this project to expore more of the Octane render engine within blender. I’m still not fully convinced to switch over from cycles, but feature as the Texture Discplacement and the Octane postprocessing makes it a hard choice. Besides the usefull features, the final images have a overall different feel compared to cycles in my opinion, and I start to like the ones from Octane more.

Textures are from Poliigon and the wooden veneer is from Texture.supply. The kitchen and room is modelled by myself in Blender but the props are a combination of models form Poliigon, 3dsky and Dimensiva.

Lighting is done combining the Octane Daylight Environment, which I desaturated, with an overcast HDRI from Polyhaven.

I’m still looking to get more shots out of this project, so I might add some more over time. Let me know what you guys think!

44 Likes

Very cool, as always.
The picture cannot be said to be very different from cycles.
Did you compare render times?
Why can’t you decide what’s best for you? All such cycles are native renders for blender. Octane will be less stable. I can be wrong.

1 Like

I didn’t compare render times as octane works purely on GPU and Cycles can run CPU and GPU.

These are my thoughts so far on Octane compared to cycles.

Pros:

• Texturedisplacement makes it really easy to use displacement without hte need to subdivide your geometry. Usefull feautrue for extra details.
  • Lighting interiorscenes feels easier. Just an overcast HDRI will light the room up in a nice way.
  • Look and feel. It feels more natural in my opinion, but that is purely based on my own perception, this might be different for other people.
  • Nice control over postprocess effects like bloom and glare ready in the viewport.

Cons

• Manually convert all the texture to Octane shaders.
  • I can’t use my library of Cycles models and materials
  • Limited by your Vram. I have an RTX 2070 with 8 gigs of Vram. If your textures and models take up more that 8 gigs, it just wont render. This has not happend yet with my interior scenes (This one uses around 4 gigs of Vram), but is will become a problem moving on to larger exterior scens with lots of trees / vegatation.

It is really stable up till this point. You download a seperate Blenderbuild from the Otoy site with Octane build in, so everything is well integrated. But yeah, cycles will win in it terms of realibility in the long run as it is natively build for Blender.

Will have to see if the pro’s will outweigh the cons in the long run after testing out more scenes!

5 Likes

It is very interesting what choice you will make. But in my opinion, the difference in the picture is not so striking. In the rest of archviz, octane is probably more convenient…
we are waiting for the continuation

2 Likes

I will keep you guys updated!

2 Likes

Edit: I just uploaded one more close up shot. Focussed on the herbs in the window. Herbs are from quixel and the planters pots are from Poliigon.

3 Likes

I’m a bit confused, is there supposed to be an Octane and Cycles side by side comparison?

Sorry for the confusion, but no this is just octane. I was just comparing my thoughts about the two render engines in one of my comments.

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

2 Likes

Thanks Bart! Goed weekend!

1 Like

Congratulations, this work has been nominated for the ‘Best of Blender Artists 2022’ award in the #interiorarchitecture category! You can vote for it here.