Thanks @BD3D. It was too slow to paint.
no micro-displacements used on that scene.
I am trying to load test Blender & scatter add-on on a new scene with 5km terrain.
I am using a terrain with 4.19 million polygon and default cube to scatter.
Enabled Display particles as bounds on creation.
The following list shows the memory usage that blender shows after each step.
- Empty Blender scene shows - 50.5 MB mem
- After importing 467 MB OBJ file it shows - 1.82 GB mem
- After Shade Smooth - 1.87 GB mem
- Scattering a simple cube shows 50% display - 2.08 GB mem
- When i change display % to 100% - 2.85 GB mem
- When i click New Paint Layer it shows - 2.92 GB mem
- After clicking brush button it shows - 4.07 GB mem
- It takes around 6 seconds to see the painted stroke. Its too slow.
By enabling realtime viewport visibility blender stopped responding for 6 minutes
and after that i was able to see cube scattered through out the terrain
and it shows -7.45 GB mem now
- After reducing display % to 50% - 7.94 GB mem
- After clicking Add Influence to selected system - 8.94 GB mem
weight paint is inverted
- Enabling Invert System Group - 8.75 GB
- By clicking add / remove particle toggle - 8.99 GB
after 3 minutes i can see the cubes in the painted area .
8.99 GB Memory taken to scatter a default cube on a 464Mb OBJ Terrain which is 5Km in dimension.
I believe these memory issues are not related to scatter add-on. Blender needs some serious memory optimization.