Geo-Scatter - 5.4 Scatter Groups

hi,

if i have a dude of Scatter v4, where i have to post it?

There is a thread for these?

Not sure what you meant by “i have a dude”

3 Likes

well, when scatter some objects in a dense mesh…

the objects are placed in two sides of the face, where normal points and back…

Sure, its some option i have not see…

a screenshot would help a lot

1 Like

Hi.

Been trying to test out scenes created in Scatter 4 in blender 2.93 beta and 3.0 alpha cycles x build. In both versions of blender I can see all Scatter assets in the viewport but no assets show in final render …is there an easy way to get it working without waiting for Scatter 5 release?

Hey
Is Issue this Lodify related? Did you used lodify with the scene ?

Note that most addon devs won’t support un-released build :smirk:
there’s just too much stuff changing/unstable and the patches we’d do would be worthless two days later

Hi

Thanks for the quick response. I completely understand about not supporting unreleased builds.

Just thought there was a quick workaround. I am not using lodify. The scene renders in 2.92 as is. Just thought its weird that I can see the assets in viewport and not in final render. Will wait for Scatter 5 or try to use the beta or some other way to recreate the sxattered assets with geo nodes

Can you perhaps explain why its happening that the assets won’t render even though I can see them in the viewport?

Just by hearing that I hardly see why it would be linked to the Scatter plugin
Scatter4 and below is using the particle-hair instancing system, which is a native instancing system.
Scatter is not taking actions before or after rendering time so I don’t think your issue is linked with the plugin

I’d suppose this is an issue linked with the Alpha release of 3.0 and maybe Cycles X not currently supporting Hair-Instancing correctly? Anyway Cycles X is in a really early stage I don’t advise using it in your projects yet, neither is the foundation hehe :slightly_smiling_face:

@BD3D
Hello ! I’ve encountered an error while using the Edge Border (in Scatter 4). It occurs when the two properties have the same value. It then gives a Division By 0 exception.

Fixed it
thanks

@BD3D Hi Dorian,

I’m making a scene for a contest that is basically a large field landscape. I’ve been looking into vegetation add-ons and scatter looks the best, but I had a few questions.

• Is this beta featured enough for a full scene? I need wind effects, is there a solution in blender with version 4?
  • If I buy version 4, can I use the biomes and assets from that in version 5 beta? Do you have access to the individual assets in the biomes?
  • If I buy the lite version, can I upgrade to the pro at a later date?
  • I’m planning on hand-animating the assets under a tire track to crumple using shape keys - the scattered objects can be converted into meshes, correct?

Cheers

Hello

Nope but you can use Scatter5 for the wind effect, it will rotate the assets realistically

If I buy version 4, can I use the biomes and assets from that in version 5 beta? Do you have access to the individual assets in the biomes?

Yeah you can import them like any regular assets and even use the Proxy feature frow lodify

If I buy the lite version, can I upgrade to the pro at a later date?

Yes, you won’t waste any money with lite version
It’s a good investment as you can always purchase the PRO version at no extra cost

I’m planning on hand-animating the assets under a tire track to crumple using shape keys - the scattered objects can be converted into meshes, correct?

Yes, but not currently for Scatter5, the feature will be available for OpenBeta03 shortly as I just implemented it for this new version last week

Note that for large scene you want to be extremely careful about your particle-count, so far i didn’t implement security features for the OpenBeta

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I tried out the wind effect, it’s really good already. Are there any plans to use a vertex group on the asset to adjust the strength so you get a bending effect? Would be nice to have the top move in the wind more than the root etc.

Sounds to me like I will need to choose between using v4 and getting biomes, security features etc. or using v5 getting wind. Is there any way with v4 to manually add wind to the particle system? It’s a hair system after all…

Yes this feature is already here, you can mask your wind effect and a mask with 0.5 value will do this as you describe. (maybe it’s not available yet for OpenBeta02, if not it will soon for Beta v03)

Sounds to me like I will need to choose between using v4 and getting biomes, security features etc. or using v5 getting wind. Is there any way with v4 to manually add wind to the particle system?

Yes indeed and no there’s no way to convert

keep in mind that biomes can be easily reproduced by just selecting the asset and hitting “Scatter” so IMO it will take you from 1 click to like 10 click

as for the security features, you’ll just need to be careful and always show particles with a lower % displayed and save regularity your .blend until I re-implement this (niche) feature

I suggest waiting a few days for OpenBeta03 if you intend to use the beta for your project as I improved the performance of the lower% feature. But yeah it’s a beta, sorry for the inconveniences, there’s still a lot of work to do :slight_smile:

Beautiful, I’m super excited for 03. In the meantime I’ll experiment with hair forces in 2.92, see if I can’t replicate the effect somewhat. Thanks again for the quick replies.

1 Like

Do you have an ETA on beta 3? Or can I start with beta 2 and transition to beta 3? Just wondering how to plan out my work over the next 2 weeks. Cheers

hello

when I set the placeholder to hair Blender 2.93 crashes immediately,
probably because there is no hair available,
Otherwise the Windeffect is great, and will be from the effect in most cases perfectly sufficient,

2 Likes

Hello
Yeah some placeholder are broken I’ll need to fix this :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Only writing because it may need your attention in the near-future. I’m not sure why, exactly, but I had a situation where particles would only display on frame 1 when using 2.93’s new Persistent Data feature. i realize it’s not supported by you yet, but do not know if it might clash in some way with the plugin. Disabling it allowed scatter’s assets to appear on every frame but lost the speed benefits. It’s about 20s just to setup a scene with many assets. All in all loving the look I got by using it, but the new PD feature combined with scatter is a big opportunity for performance gains given the number of particles you can have in a scene. Super excited for your new beta and glad I came upon this problem because I got to read about the update you are doing. Keep up the great work and thank you for the amazing product.

Hello

are you talking about Scatter4 or Scatter5 OpenBeta?
Currently only the OpenBeta “Supports” 2.93