Geo-Scatter - 5.4 Scatter Groups

Ah grouping in that sense
No it’s not possible yet but it’s a good idea

most prominent assets, but is there a way to switch what “Particle System” you are using within the “Manual Distribution mode” ?

Hello @Elk
I’m sorry but I didn’t understood your request :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
If you can you can import points from other particle system, is this what you want to do?
I’m also not sure what you meant by “having” a palette?

Also (and this is probably way out of the scope of this addon) I keep thinking that Manual Distrubution would be a realy nice way to paint “decals” to materials in a similar way. For instanse add some damage to a road, or footsteps or path to other terrain where adding geometry would be overkill. But maybe more of an ide for another add-on, I would just love to see this kind of workflow for something like that though.

I think that if you tinker a bit , you could apply a shrinkwrap modifier to all instances of the scatter obj

Regarding the palet I was simply thinking of having the different systems listed in “Manual Distribution” mode, so you can easily switch between what to paint or manipulate next, just a quick mockup, I’m sure you can find a better placement and design for it.

The decal was more of a vague Idea, I am already using shrinkwrap for things like road markings but thanks for the tip. I guess it might get easier when Geometry Nodes mature a bit more and get some better handeling for UVs and stuff. For now mixing textures in shader with multiple UVs when I just need to break up monotone surfaces. Works quite well, but could be faster :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah i see, i was thinking of creating a hitkey to quickly append the selection menu :thinking:
I think it’s best to leave such detail for 5.1, releasing the big gun first

Yeah, I probably explained it a bit badly :S The big time saver with having the systems avalable like this would be for instance when you have distributed serveral systems and want to tweak the placement in relation to each other with the move tool, you might want to go back an forth between the systems to do small tweaks to get the placements just right. So just to be clear there is basicaly no need for all the extra buttons in my mockup for my proposal, just a toggle to select active system… (se new mockup attached)

And I’m sure it is a bit more complicated to make it work then what it looks like. I am just happy you are considering it, no rush :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes and I agree :wink:
I think that having a floating menu to change selection/active would be extremely handy, not only from manual distribution mode

always going up in the selection area is a bit tiring when there’s a lot of options and settings to naviguate

Yeah, would not have to be floating IMO though, but I cant seem to open the N-panel in Manual Distribution mode, but I guess there is a reason you are hiding/blockingit in this mode!? otherwise having the N-panel avalable would be more then good enough …

I am not sure if this is a bug, or behaviour as expected:

Scatter Open Beta 3, Blender 2.93: I was scattering grass around an ArchVis scene. Everything was in a single collection, so I went to tidy up my assets and moved all of the grasses and plants I was scattering from “Scene / Collection” to “Scene / Collection / Plants”. Scatter then stopped showing the moved assets in Renders. When I looked in the Particle Instances, they were empty.

I needed to go into the “Particle Instances List” for each Particle System and re-add the assets, then everything worked as expected.

I am not sure if this can be easily fixed as I guess you need to reference the complete path to the asset rather than some sort of unique internal asset ID.

Hey

If you choose your instancing method to sample from assets contained inside a collection then removed the assets within this collection, then yes it is to be expected that there will be no instances shown :slight_smile:

I’m not sure why you found this confusing, it looks quite clear imo? :grinning:

If you don’t feel like using collections, you can always choose instancing method that do not use any collections

Capture d’écran 2021-06-19 183338

I needed to go into the “Particle Instances List” for each Particle System and re-add the assets, then everything worked as expected.

I fixed this step for OpenBeta V4, the instances will automatically fill all methods

1 Like

I got confused because Scatter creates it’s own collections. I thought that “Collection Sampling” was sampling from the Scatter collection, not the source collection.

• I added two assets “grass.1” and “grass.2” from “Scene / Collection” to my Scatter.
  • Scatter created a collection “Scene / Scatter5 [Scene] Collections / Scatter5 instance_col / instance_col : Demo Simple Random " and put “grass.1” and “grass.2” into it. (grass.1 and grass.2 are now in both collections”
  • Method for scattering was “Random Sample from collection”. Which I assumed was the “instance_col : Demo Simple Random” collection.
  • I then moved the assets from “Scene / Collection” to “Scene / Collection / Plants” and they were removed from the “instance_col : Demo Simple Random” collection.

It was the fact that when I moved the assets from “Scene / Collection” to “Scene / Collection / Plants”, they were removed from “instance_col : Demo Simple Random” that was unexpected.

Hey

You might want to check this tutorial where I explain what are these collections

Scatter5 do not move anything outside of the collection :slightly_smiling_face:

you probably did a bad manipulation by forgetting to hold CTRL while dropping your object in your new collection. :slightly_smiling_face: by holding CTRL you will be able to link the asset in multiple collection at the same time. if not hold the asset will be removed from all other collection.

That would be it. I moved them by selecting them and hitting “M” and then choosing the new collection. I had no idea that moving an asset from one collection to another would remove it from all other collections if you did not hold down CTRL. I learnt something new today, thank you.

1 Like

With the shortcut operator I’m not sure, but when doing the operation in the outliner yes, you need to link an asset in a collection if you want your asset to be simultaneously present in multiple collection.
Note aside, this is not related to scatter5 at all, purely related on how blender works

Are there any plans to make Scatter 4.0 compatible with 2.93? I get errors when I try to use it (which weren’t there in 2.92), and I notice 2.93 isn’t listed on the blendermarket store page.

Or as a Scatter Pro user can I use Scatter 5 beta with all my assets? Does 5.0 support the TerraScape packs?

Thanks!

Hey

Two weeks ago I send e-mails to all users telling that I pushed a silent patch available on Blendemarket/Gumroad that correct this 2.93 biome issue :slight_smile:

Or as a Scatter Pro user can I use Scatter 5 beta with all my assets? Does 5.0 support the TerraScape packs?

You can use Scatter5 BETA with your assets if you want, for serious project I advise to wait for the official release

Yes it will but not now, I’m still heavily perfecting the plugin

1 Like

Thanks, I didn’t see the email. I’ll download the patch.

If I can use everything in 4.0 in 2.93 then I’m happy to wait for the official release in November.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Hey loving scatter 5 so far. Just noticed though, that it is duplicating the top bar after exiting manual distribution spray paint mode etc. Not sure if its been reported or not, had a quick scan through comments to see if anyone else reported the same thing but couldn’t see anything, too many posts :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey thanks for the nice comment and thanks for the report!

i have a few questions in order to track down this issue:
-is this happening systematically?
-Or maybe it’s a really rare event?
-Is there error messages in the console?
-How do you quit manual mode? By pressing escape? or maybe my doing something else?

Hey there,

i just noticed that my 2.93 version is giving me the error when i click on biomemanager:

Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Workstation-PC\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.93\scripts\addons\Scatter\core\sc_c_manager_extra.py", line 49, in execute
    bpy.context.area.ui_type = old_area
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'ui_type'

also this opens the preferences window with the searchterm Scatter [BD3D] and the addon isn’t found because the name is only Scatter in my addonlist :-/

further after installing the terrascape verticalscapes this happens when i click on some biome from the biome manager:

File "C:\Users\Workstation-PC\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.93\scripts\addons\Scatter\core\sc_c_manager_exec.py", line 48, in execute
    bpy.ops.script.python_file_run(filepath=script_path)
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\E-Cycles_2.93_2021.1_release_20210602_win(CUDA)\2.93\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py", line 132, in __call__
    ret = _op_call(self.idname_py(), None, kw)
RuntimeError: Error: Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "C:\Users\Workstation-PC\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.93\scripts\addons\Scatter Library\__biomes__\ts_vertical_06.py", line 7, in <module>
    bpy.ops.scatter.execute_layer(
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\E-Cycles_2.93_2021.1_release_20210602_win(CUDA)\2.93\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py", line 132, in __call__
RuntimeError: Error: Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Workstation-PC\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.93\scripts\addons\Scatter\core\sc_c_manager_exec.py", line 142, in execute
    bpy.ops.script.python_file_run(filepath=origin_p)
RuntimeError: Error: Python: Error in sys.excepthook:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Workstation-PC\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.93\scripts\addons\BlenderGIS-225\__init__.py", line 95, in _excepthook
    if 'BlenderGIS' in exc_traceback.tb_frame.f_code.co_filename:
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'tb_frame'

Original exception was:
OSError: Python file "C:\Users\Workstation-PC\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.93\scripts\addons\Scatter Library\array_face.py" could not be opened: No such file or directory

location: C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\E-Cycles_2.93_2021.1_release_20210602_win(CUDA)\2.93\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py:132

location: C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\E-Cycles_2.93_2021.1_release_20210602_win(CUDA)\2.93\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py:132

i solved it by, remove scatter, install scatter, placing the terrascape zip manually in the biomes folder

Hey Great to see that your issue is solved

File “C:\Users\Workstation-PC\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.93\scripts\addons\Scatter\core\sc_c_manager_extra.py”, line 49, in execute
bpy.context.area.ui_type = old_area
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘ui_type’

Note that this issue was fixed on latest 2.93 patch for 4.0 i uploaded few weeks ago

:slight_smile: