Scene to Scene Rendering, not layers.

I’ve been pondering something that I don’t know if this is possible in Blender 2.65. Is it possible to have two completely seperate scenes, yet render both of those scenes together?

My reason for asking is because I’m working on a project that involves several starships, a few stations, and several planets, but I can’t have all of them in the same scene (on multiple layers) without Blender lagging up a storm due to the high poly-count. Instead, I’d like to open the scene up several times and then render those scenes together.

Ughs, I don’t know if I’m explaining this right. I’m not refering to scene layers, I’m refering to the actual scene itself and creating multiple different scenes in the same project - each one having a different ship, station, and such and then rendering all of the scenes (in this case, four different scenes) together.

Yea I read your post there, just trying to figure out ‘how’ you set that up. Using an empty and then setting it up to show the model when it’s not on the same layer, kind of confuses me :frowning:

Scenes and layers are what I call ‘soft-divisons’ in the Blender internal database. But essentially everything is in memory. If you add an object to a group, it becomes global to all scenes even if it is not in the scene. So that it what my technique is leveraging.

The 2.6 series has simplified the instancing of groups into your scene. You no longer have to create an Empty then activate the object context and scroll down and choose dupligroup then pick the group. This is all done for you in one step when you choose a Group Instance from the SHIFT-A add object menu. But it is nice to know that that is what is going on when you use a Group Instance. The menu python script is doing all those steps for you.

The moving of the object to an unused layer is just a way to keep it from rendering when you are using it as an instance source. You can, of course, keep it in the scene if you like and have a duplicate from a Group Instance as well. You can think of a Group Instance as one-off particles with no physics. If you need a single one, that’s when you use a Group Instance.

Umm… wow…

I must say I feel like an idiot for not knowing that, I didn’t know you could DO that. That should make things a whole lot easier.

Now, if only I could get motion blur to work (somethign else I’m having issue understanding, but felt this was more important)