SceneCity 🏬

will bmesh give you any new options for building mroe detailed buildings?

I haven’t studied the new Bmesh Python API in depth, but in theory yes.
Bmesh should normally allow complex shape manipulation in fewer and much simpler steps.

Hello! I got some trouble running script too - it gives me one of those output module errors. I have latest Blender 2.63 build r45996, latest java (marked as valid on the tool shelf menu) and I have tried to follow all instructions on “Common Problems” page. Still the same, it gives me the output module error. Help would be greatly appreciated!
P.S. Temporary folder is existing and writeable (script is able to write files there)

Thanks piichan. I know I have been pretty harsh in the thread here over the months. But your site has really shaped up nicely and the program has really shown a lot of growth and developement. Your 14.95 euros are on the way next friday. Not that I need the pay version for anything but just becasue I would like to reward your efforts.

Hi, I’m using Suicidator City Generator in Version 0.5.5 with the official release Blender 2.63 from blender.org.

I always get this errors as soon as I set the options to generate any materials:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “X:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender2.5\2.63\scripts\addons\suicidator_city_generator_0_5_5_Free_init_.py”, line 373, in execute
SCG_output = imp.load_module(‘SCG_output’, file, pathname, description)
File “/tmp\SCG_output.py”, line 548, in <module>
SCG_create_materials_321727977()
File “/tmp\SCG_output.py”, line 24, in SCG_create_materials_321727977
img_Concrete_Triangles.use_premultiply = True
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘use_premultiply’

File “X:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender2.5\2.63\scripts\addons\suicidator_city_generator_0_5_5_Free_init_.py”, line 373, in execute
File “/tmp\SCG_output.py”, line 863, in <module>
SCG_create_materials_1690101489()
File “/tmp\SCG_output.py”, line 24, in SCG_create_materials_1690101489
img_Chamomile_Meadow.use_premultiply = True
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘use_premultiply’

Please, can you fix that?

Edit: See next post: Circumvention and bug cause found.

You still need to fix that bug. But I found a workaround.
The problem was: I installed Blender under another drive than C:, so your tool wrote all data to that other drive (X: mp) but wanted to access it from C: mp, at least the materials, not the geometry data. So I think, you need to think about absolute pathes somewhere in your code. I circumvented the bug with a hardlink (mklink /h /j C: mp X: mp), but the easier solution would be to move Blender to C:.
But that’s a dirty fix, no other scripts I know of have such problems.

Any ideas?

That’s odd…
Have you restarted your computer, just to be sure ?
Can you launch SCG even if it says it cannot find java.

Although quite rare, I’ve heard this problem before.
I’ll make sure 0.6 won’t impose these problems on the users anymore.

@Ega3D
Sorry for the late reply, BlenderArtists didn’t notify me by email, dunno why …
Could you attach a screenshot of the error you get ?

@SHABA1
No problem :slight_smile:
I take everyone’s criticism into account, it’s good to know people’s opinion, good or bad, so I can fix things up.

@collad
I think you’re right, thanks for pointing it.
I probably didn’t use the correct Python method for cross-platform paths.

Quick tests playing with voxel worlds and duplis.
Rendered with Cycles except for the terrain render.

Hello. I bought your script last year, is there any way you could send me the new script please?

The latest version is 0.5.5. If you don’t have it send me an email and I’ll send you the full copy.
You should also subscribe to my mailing list (http://cgchan.com/suicidator/ bottom of the page), so that you get informed as soon as I release a new version.

Some news about the new road network type (axis-aligned) for non-overlapping buildings here
http://cgchan.com/suicidator/blog/0.6-update-3

Nice addition piichan. I have been wating for this. So should I delete thewhole Sucidator folder from my blender addons folder or copy this version over the Suicidator folder

Shaba1, I haven’t released anything yet. It’s still a work in progress.
But both ways will be ok: override the old SCG folder or delete it completely.

I’m using the free version, and I have to say, its pretty impressive. However, I’m exporting it to FBX for use in Unity, and I can’t seem to get the textures to come off with it? What do I actually have to do to export the textures too?

Thanks in advance.

When exporting/importing 3D models, the 3D geometries are usually distinct from the textures.

The simplest option is to import the city mesh in Unity, and assign the already generated building/terrain textures (check in Blender’s temporary folder for the image files) on the meshes by creating appropriate Unity materials. You won’t have exactly the same appearance than in Blender, because you won’t apply all the textures on the buildings, but it should look quite good.

A more advanced option is to bake the textures in Blender, then use those baked textures in Unity. For that you’ll have to select the city mesh, assign it a new UV image (it’s already unwrapped for you) and bake it from the render options in Blender. If you’ve never done it before, I suggest you look for a tutorial about it. It’s not hard, but there are some steps.

This is something I’m considering for the next versions of SCG: Blender won’t be the only possible output, there will be options to export specific versions of the cities tuned for game engines or external renderers/3d apps.

I’ve just added support for OpenGL 3d preview, right in the user interface. This allows instant feedback of the city settings.
It’s very fast, and should work with any graphics card bought in the last 6 years or so.

Only a WIP, I’m getting the hang of it, but this is what I could get after 3 hours.
Here we can see the empty control panel on the left, and the wireframe terrain on the right.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-oFhK5lgUvFo/T-b2suI_t5I/AAAAAAAAXS0/uzbi3Et4OiQ/s650/SCG%2520OpenGL%2520preview2.png

Wow this great!:yes:

piichan. I tried running sucidator 0.5 in blender 2.63.9 r45155 I did get a city produced but it was not textured. But when the java portion of the program finishes I get a pop up in blender for approx 5 seconds and then it disappears. And the city was built. Is this normal.

Here is the error from the command line.

File “C:\Users\DD\Desktop\Blender Files\Blender263a\2.63\scripts\addons\suicid
ator_city_generator_0_5_4_Free_init_.py”, line 367, in execute
File “/tmp\SCG_output.py”, line 4040, in <module>
build_mesh_SCG_city()
File “/tmp\SCG_output.py”, line 3973, in build_mesh_SCG_city
unwrap_mesh_from_data(mainMesh, uvLayer, None, pickleData[‘facesUV’])
File “C:\Users\DD\Desktop\Blender Files\Blender263a\2.63\scripts\addons\suicid
ator_city_generator_0_5_4_Free_init_.py”, line 258, in unwrap_mesh_from_data
for faceNb, face in enumerate(mesh.faces):
AttributeError: ‘Mesh’ object has no attribute ‘faces’

Is this normal?