SceneCity šŸ¬

Looking awesome and an amazing output.

I thought this died two years agoā€¦
I loved it on 2.4, now I can love it on 2.6!

@@DSebJ
Thanks guys :slight_smile:

No updates lately (sad).

Taking a break with good olā€™ Icewind Dale :smiley:
And playing around with Terragen 2. I bought the deep edition, quite expensive, but well worth the price, what an amazing software !
I wish I can bring SCG anywhere close to itā€¦
They could do something about the almost-non-existent documentation however.

Iā€™m starting to miss my coding drug thoughā€¦ I should be back onto the generator next week.
Version 0.6 is 80% done. One last push, and weā€™ll all have more realistic cities to explore.

This is an awesome script. I downloaded the free sample and am playing around with it now. I am definitely budgeting for a copy of the real deal. Looking forward for the real version.

i have a problem with java. I installed it several times, indeed when I check my version on their website it says that my computer is ok, but still suicidator wonā€™t recognise java on the computerā€¦ how can I solve this?

Try to give more info. Which os do you use, blender version etc. Start Blender from console and watch the messages.

Yes, do as Aenima said.

Plus, have you tried launching SCG ? Maybe it works even though it says it doesnā€™t see java.

thanks for the answersā€¦ you are right :)ā€¦ first some info.

I use win7 64bits and blender 2.63.0 (even tried with other versions).

I tried to build the city and at work I got an error (which now I cannot post because I am not at workā€¦). I just tried now at home and it looks like is working fine even if I still have the missing java message.

About starting blender from consoleā€¦ sorry I am a noob :Dā€¦ how do I do this?

Hi Sdados, open terminal - I think its in the Start >> Applications >> Accessories - then open an windows explorer window and find the Blender executable and drop to terminal then hit enter.

Im not a recent Win user so if its not working navigate with the cd command to the Blender app and start. After this you will see all the messages what blender and all the scripts send.

Sorry for my english.

thanks Aenima! I did as you said and got this

Cannot figure out what does that means thoughtā€¦

I also have some question about the script itself. Is it possible to use custom meshes for the buildings and to draw custom roads?

Thanks for the help guys! And your english is just fine (is not my native language as well so donā€™t worry :smiley: )

Sdados, it looks like the ā€œjavaā€ command is not recognized on your machine.Can you open a Windows terminal (start menu->programs->accessories->console) and do

>java -version

If it does nothing, you have to add the ā€œbinā€ folder of Java to your PATH environment variable.
See here

Iā€™m making sure such problems wonā€™t happen with the next version.

Is it possible to use custom meshes for the buildings

Yes, but only with the full (paid) version. Be warned that your custom buildings wonā€™t fit the roads, because the roads are, well, random.
In the next version the roads will all be parallel, which makes it much easier to keep the buildings (procedural or custom) inside their dedicated area.

and to draw custom roads?

Not planned yet. Maybe in a future release.

Not many updates on next version (0.6) lately, got caught up by duties, grrr.
Reserving some free time for it.

thanks for the help again :slight_smile: Did as you said and now it works correctly! I even checked that instruction page you linked before, but I guessed I didnā€™t look well :slight_smile:

About the features, I think the possibility to draw roads and mantain the building aligment is really important. I just say this as an advice of course, I am not pretending anything! I understand you do this almost as a volunteer and that is great!

Thanks again for the help!

whopsā€¦ I am back already. I fixed the problem with java, but at work I still get that nasty error when I generate the city (which was not happening on my machine at home)ā€¦ Here is what come out on the console when I try to build the city. I checked out the common problem page but couldnā€™t figure out the issueā€¦ I donā€™t think is a ram problem because I have 16gb, and the output folder looks okā€¦ sorry to bother you againā€¦

@Bernardo, so it works? Cool!

Please share your ideas, comments and feature requests. Even though some (most?) may not be easily implemented, at least it gives me an idea of what people expect :slight_smile:

Aligning the buildings with the road is ok (itā€™s already done in version 0.5 and above), the real question hurting my head is: how to fit custom-made buildings into randomly-shaped road networks ?

So I took a shortcut for 0.6, which is to make all roads parallel and perpendicular.
I may add the option to have random networks like in the current version, with a warning about the buildings not fitting perfectly to the roads.

HAHA, you posted the new problem as I was typing my previous postā€¦

Thatā€™s some strange error apparently unrelated to SCG.

It seems youā€™re not using an official version of Blender 2.63.
Did you get it from graphicall.org ?

well thatā€™s actually the 2.63.0 (r45996) so it should be the official one, but I will do further experiments.

About the proposals of the streets, I think would be good to have a choice. Parallel streets is good for certain kind of cities (new york for example). Right now I am exploring this plugin because it could be that in some month I will need to build a city in afghanistan for a movie, so parallel roads are not the case of this city :smiley: .

Im not good in programming, but what about this idea for keeping the alignment of custom buildings even with non parallel roads: could be of any help drawing a square under the custom building that would tell to your script where are the building boundaries? This way the building could be always treated as a squared one, and maybe it would be easier for the script to align it to any kind of road. Further more the user would have a nice control over the alignment of the building, depending on the size and the rotation of the square he draws under the buildingā€¦

I dunno if what I said it make any senseā€¦ :smiley:

Any word on the release date for 0.6?

How can I know the ā€œseed numberā€ from a blend file (city generated by scg)? Is it possible?

No you canā€™t retrieve the seed from a blend file, as the city parameters are stored outside of Blender, and not in a file either. In the version actively in development (0.6), the city parameters are saved in an XML file, for your convenience.

Hi, your addon is amazing but iā€™ve some troubles with it.
Iā€™m trying to use the population map but it doesnā€™t work. Iā€™ve updated several time the grayscale image but the result is always the same.
I canā€™t figre out what iā€™m doing wrong, any advice?

Thanks in advance

Take care