SceneCity 🏬

you can already easily create your own buildings, just edit the buildings .blend file, keep the building name the same & your buildings will be used. (some basic knowledge is required.)

HeadClot,

yes SceneCity 0.9 is out, but I haven’t made an official announcement yet, I’m still writing the documentation. Then I’ll announce it on the newsletter, blog and if possible BlenderNation. If you want to see what’s new, you can have a look at the history page
http://cgchan.com/store/scenecity/history

Thanks for the feedback and the link :slight_smile:
I take note! If you have more ideas, please do not hesitate.
Yes some sort of building generator/editor is needed. It’s already in the works! (but disabled in 0.9 for now, it needs more design work)

But as Meta-Androcto said (thanks Meta) you can use your own buildings. In SceneCity 0.9 it’s much easier, no need to edit the included library’s blend files. All you have to do is enable a checkbox on a mesh or objects group to use them as buildings or road portions. I’ll explain all of that in detail in the manual, probably finished next week.

Hello. I have purchased a “SceneCity”, and tried.
Generation of roads and buildings were successful. It’s great!
But only the terrain was not generated by an error. I don’t know cause, this message appeared.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “…\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.76\scripts\addons\sceneterrain_int_.py”, line 145, in execute
shade_smooth = context.scene.SceneTerrain_shade_smooth,
File “…\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.76\scripts\sceneterrain errain.py”, line 441, in genererTerrain
objectTerrain = bpy.data.objects[‘SceneTerrain’]
KeyError: ‘bpy_prop_collection[key]: key “SceneTerrain” not found’

Hello.

it looks like you’re using an older version of SceneCity, probably 0.8
You should update to the latest, 0.9

Let me know if you still have issues

Hi piiichan, how are you?

How should we update the addon? Should I remove the previous version of SceneCity, SceneTerrain, and SceneSkies before installing version 0.9? Or can I just hit install from file and it will replace the older files?
Or should I go directly to the addons folder and replace files from there?

Thank you very much, the possibility to have our own building models seems awesome! As for feedback, I’ll give it a spin once properly installed and let you know, but in general I agree with HeadClot’s suggestions. :smiley:

Julperado,

you should remove the old versions first when you update.
Do it from Blender itself, no need to fiddle with the files.

Yes let me know about anything you think, good and bad. Feedback is very important for me, and HeadClot offers nice ideas! :slight_smile:

pilichan I bought scene city 0.5 and got email updates till 0.7, Do I have to buy 0.8 up? I cant remember if I only get so many free updates.

Never mind pilichan I just realized I could login to your site and get to downloads, Awesome work BTW.

Ok can someone walk me through how to export a whole city to unity? (I need a town for a game I am programming)

Edit: nvm somehow it worked this time ^^

best regards

Glad it worked Jack ^^

About a year ago I started looking for some software to generate procedural buildings and cities. I found a lot of old projects that seem to be abandoned or forgotten. So far SceneCity seems to be the closest thing to what I want.

It looks to me like version 1.0 still has the same basic 10 buildings, although I look forward to using the new tools to create some of my own. Is there a way that SceneCity users can share our models online? It seems like a few people working together could create a lot of meshes that would really extend the software.

I posted a short blog of my first experiences with SceneCity at https://citymakerblog.wordpress.com/ .

Hello Jim,
thanks for the feedback, allowing the users to share their buildings seems to be a pretty good idea, I’ll think about it!

Bonjour Arnaud!

Your add-on looks really good, I watched the videos and I am impressed, I was just wondering if the user is limited in size, or is it possible to create cities of any size, like 20 KM by 20 KM wide?

Hello :slight_smile:

no you aren’t limited in size in SceneCity. The only limits are Blender, your RAM, and how much time you’re ready to spend waiting for a large city to complete.

Hello again, and thanks for your reply, my guess is that it would take a very long time to have a large scene, at least knowing Blender, but this looks good, will look into it, thanks again!

Can this be used in Blender Internal for Pro?

The included buildings and terrain default material are for Cycles, but you can make and apply your own BI materials without problem

Okay. I want to take a stab at the free version, but I guess it’s obsolete now since the link isn’t there.

There is no free version, though it’s been on my todo list for a while

Does the SceneCity addon work in Blender 2.78 or is it better to stick with the 2.77 version for this plugin? Thank you for creating such a great tool.