Scenegraph planned revision : Has it happened yet?

Hi all,

any news regarding the scenegraph restructuring plan? This and raycast based selection will help to speed up viewport interaction tremendously.

Also is there any plans to ditch old OpenGL calls and to streamlined to OpenGL 3 and above?

Haven’t heard anything.

This and raycast based selection will help to speed up viewport interaction tremendously.

Why would a different scenegraph implementation speed up viewport? Is there some bottleneck am I not aware of? Psy-Fi is working on new selection code that is still OpenGL based, but much faster.

Also is there any plans to ditch old OpenGL calls and to streamlined to OpenGL 3 and above?

I don’t think deprecated OpenGL is planned for removal yet, but at least one GSOC student this year is working on viewport code improvements.

Current implementation would require the scene reconstruction to be done twice on scene changes, if I’m not mistaken. The planned revamped scenegraph among other issues would be to solve that so that the scene rebuilding would only happen once. It was planned during 2.63 if I’m not mistaken and was aimed for the Mango Project with all core developers would sprint coding it for a month, though it was later postponed by Ton for some reasons.

Ah, you must be talking about the dependency graph rewrite. Not sure what the plans are here, I don’t think it’s happening with Mango.