Sci-Fi Helmet

A helmet modeled in Blender, textured in Substance Painter and rendered in Cycles.

This was a quick personal project I did to practice some hard surface modelling based on a sketch a friend of mine did. As you can probably tell, he’s a big Halo fan :smiley:

There are wonky UV’s and some shading issues, but I had to leave this as I don’t want to spend anymore time on it, as it was to be something quick and dirty for practice. I’ll call it done and move on to something else next week.

The one thing I might try to change before I leave it is to remove the @masterxeon1001 HardOps style weight beveling workflow and crease the edges instead and add a sub-div to see how that plays with the shading. EDIT: I gave this a quick try and it sucked :sweat_smile:

Anyway, feel free to hit me with criticism and feedback.

1 Like

What are the shader issues you refer to?

Around the circle Boolean at the front, it’s a bit weird. Also the visor at the bottom where it meets the ‘mouthpiece’ isn’t very smooth.

On the top, the general curvature doesn’t look very smooth, mainly due to a ngon there, and, just last night, I found a loose vertex which also gave me trouble on the inside of the top, in the indented part. If you look at the top left you can probably see it. At least that one had a silly reason which I found.

Now that I look at the topology on the top, I can probably add two triangle rather than ngons that might help. Okay, perhaps I will give this another render later :smile:

1 Like

Here’s a quick markup from my phone.

1 Like